We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Melbourne
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Hi

Some of the timetable has been release for my departure on the 12th May this year. The only one that is available atm is Seajets at 42Euros. Is this a decent price or should I wait until others have been released?

I am hoping to book all the ferry tickets in one go, but the Mykonos/Pireaus timetable isn't out yet.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Don't rush into committing yourself. Hellenic Seaways will be releasing its FlyingCat 4 timetable in March or early April, and that is a more reliable ferry. Last year the fare was €43. No need to pre-book ferries for mid-May travel — just wait until you get to Greece.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Hi,

You don't need to book any ferry tickets now just wait at least until Hellenic Seaways schedules are out probably late March. They are all fixed prices, but Hellenic Seaways is slightly more reliable.

If you book that 'Superjet' now that is pretty dubious as that ferry changes route frequently. Whilst you can seem to be able to book with Seajets, experience tells me not to do that. I do hope I'm wrong...

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

You can see the fare breakdown here: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd

Melbourne
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Thanks for the info. I will sit tight and wait for the Hellenic schedule to come out.

I know it's been said many times that I do not need to book ahead just rock up on the day and purchase the ticket, but being that this is my first trip, I don't want to worry about missing the ferry etc. Booking the ticket ahead of time, it just eases my mind and one less thing to worry about. Perhaps when I go on second trip to Greece, I will not need to book ahead as I know what is going on ;).

Also, do you know what route takes me from Mykonos to Pireaus? I was looking at Hellenic Route, but I couldn't see any.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

When Hellenic Seaways is ready to take bookings you can either book through their website to pick up the tickets at the ferry port on Santorini or you can book on the Amphitrion Holidays website to pick up your tickets at the Athens Airport when you first arrive in Greece. They have a travel desk in the Arrivals Hall between doors 2&3.

You can get back to Athens/Piraeus directly from Mykonos by ferry or you can take a ferry from Mykonos to the port of Rafina for a shorter time at sea, then take a bus the rest of the way into Central Athens. Once HS or one of the other ferry companies have finalized their schedules for next May you will find them here: http://www.gtp.gr

You can also book through http://www.danae.gr which you will find a link for on the gtp website.

Edited: 3:59 am, January 16, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Booking a ticket in advance is no guarantee that you won't miss your ferry. All it means is that if you do miss it, or the ferry is cancelled or whatever, you'll have the added hassle of changing tickets. Really, there is no need to book in advance, the system doesn't support advance bookings, in the sense that timetables are released at the last minute and changes are made with little notice. On balance, you are much more likely to run into trouble if you book far in advance than if you wait to book your ticket at the last moment. Just to give you an idea, I've been taking ferries to and from the islands off season for the last 20 years and have never once booked more than 12 hours in advance, never once missed a ferry either.

There is a Hellenic Seaways route from Mykonos to Piraeus, pretty sure it's the Flying Cat 4 mentioned by Heimdall above. It's not been released yet - but in time it will be there.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Blue Star Ferries is the most reliable for services between Mykonos and Athens. Their timetables for the summer to Piraeus (Blue Star Ithaki) and Rafina (Superferry II) are available on their web site (www.bluestarferries.com). There'll be several other ferries, including Hellenic Highspeed services and Seajets, but most of their timetables haven't been announced yet.

Flying Cat 4 does not serve Piraeus - it runs between Crete and Mykonos (via Santorini and Paros, some times also stopping at Ios).

Edited: 8:55 am, January 17, 2011
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

The Ferries from Mykonos either go to Piraeus(for Athens), or to Rafina(Airport or Athens). The latter, Rafina, is closer to the airport so if that's where you are going slightly shorter and cheaper ferry cost. Both routes are maybe 3 times a day so no problem. There maybe around 4 or more different ferry companies operating the ferries, tickets are not transferable between ferry companies. Some timetables/booking facilities may be only available some 2 weeks in advance. By then just about all ferries will be bookable.

On your route the Santorini > Mykonos ferry is liable to be the most popular so probably the main one to book. On Mykonos check your departure port, the old port is quite away from the new port at Tourlos.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

Thank you for the above information.

I'll keep an eye out for Blue Stars and Hellenic schedules (as they appear to be most reliable).

In Mykonos - I will be staying at Hotel Tagoo, which port will be the closest? I wasn't aware there was two different ports.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of ferry from Santorini to Mykonos

One more quick question ( I know i am in the incorrect destination), what is the cost of the ferry ticket from Mykonos to Piraeus? If it is the same prices as flying, I think the easier and quickest option would be to fly.