We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos or Mykonos?

Boston...
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos or Mykonos?

Hi there,

I am choosing between visiting Naxos or Mykonos and was hoping people could weigh in with their personal preferences, opinions, descriptions, thoughts, etc. I will be visiting during the third week of April, and am not particularly interested in anything super touristy. Just want beautiful beaches and interesting town/cultural life. I understand I could probably visit both but don't want to have too crammed of a vacation, as I am also planning on a day or two in Athens, and a few days in Santorini.

THANK YOU!

Marin

england
Level Contributor
580 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

my favorite island is naxos as its quiter than the rest of the islands and has great beaches but in april mykonos will also be quite mykonos is only a couple of hours away by boat so it is possible for you to do both

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

I love both islands and visited both during the first half of June this year. I'd recommend that, if you could find the time to visit both, do it; they each offer quite different holiday experiences and each is well worth visiting in its own right.

If you want to go somewhere very laid back, peaceful and relaxing, Naxos is the ideal place to go, as Deniz has already pointed out. I was amazed by how quiet Naxos was compared to the other Greek Islands I have visited so far. When we walked around Naxos Town and the street next to the ferry port during our first evening on the island in June, we were surprised by the "small town" feel to the place. Children were playing ball games on the road while their parents chatted on a nearby taverna patio. The peace and quiet were heavenly. So were the island's golden sand beaches, which are gorgeous and stretch for miles and miles. If you enjoy swimming, however, you probably won't be able to do much of that in April. Swimming pools are heated only by the sun, and in June were still a bit chilly for swimming, while the sea wasn't much warmer. We did get to take a few short dips, but I can't imagine being able to get into the water in April. During our first trip to the islands, in late May/early June 2004, we found the sea and swimming pools far too cold for swimming.

Naxos Town is interesting to explore; however, it is fairly compact and has only a fraction as many tavernas, shops and bars as Mykonos Town. There are still plenty of places to choose for dining, but if you really enjoy shopping, you might not be satisfied with Naxos. In terms of culture, though, there seemed to be a very active summer schedule of art exhibits and concerts in and near the Castle in the old town area. We visited an oil painting and jewellery exhibition by a local artist one afternoon, and heard an orchestra rehearsing for an evening concert in another hall just a short stroll away. We saw posters advertising quite a few different concert performances and other cultural activities scheduled for the weeks ahead.

One of the other things we enjoyed about Naxos was the friendly people. Restaurant staff, shopkeepers, and hotel employees were all very friendly and hospitable, and only too pleased to take time to chat about themselves, their work and their island.

Mykonos has excellent beaches, too, while Mykonos Town is far more sophisticated than Naxos Town and offers extensive -- and considerably better -- shopping and dining opportunities. There is a large variety of restaurants, stores, and galleries, ranging from high-end retail and dining establishments and bars catering to the well-heeled traveller, to small "mom and pop"-type souvenir shops and tavernas that are easier on the pocketbook.

Mykonos is quite a lively place, and has an international reputation as a party destination; however, we didn't go there to drink and dance, and found Mykonos to be an ideal place to relax and unwind. The narrow, winding alleyways of Mykonos Town can be very busy in the evening, especially if cruise ships are in port, but we never had any problems finding places to eat or go for a drink. And it certainly is a great place for people watching!

If you enjoy exploring archaelogical sites, a short boat trip to historic Delos Island is a must (tour operators on Naxos offer day trips to Delos, too).

On Mykonos, an efficient -- and cheap -- local bus service can transport you to beaches and attractions all over the island. Naxos, by contrast, is a much larger island, and you would need to rent a car if you wanted to explore mountain villages, certain archaeological attractions, and beaches on the far reaches of the island.

I'd say that if you primarily want a holiday destination offering peace and quiet, then choose Naxos. But if you would like to relax AND experience a lively, world-famous destination, then choose Mykonos. Or just flip a coin to decide -- I don't think you will go wrong travelling to either island.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

April is never touristic..even in myconos or santorini.....if you want tottaly pacefull place without much..naxos(great beaches as myconos)...if you want great beaches and any kind of international cuisine and cozy cosmopolitan bars and cafes than total relaxation and tradition...Myconos.....if you are under....35....myconos for sure(age)

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

hi.

both islands are beautiful.

at this time of season both are quiet and peaceful.naxos is more cultural in style than mykonos.as for the beaches i'm afraid it's going to rather cold to enjoy them.both islands have nice sandy beaches.because of the period you are going to visit greece i think is better to go to naxos and to mykonos as well for a couple of days to each island otherwise you might get bored for more days since the weather is not going to be enough hot for sunbath and swimming

Boston...
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

Thank you for your thoughts everyone! One last question: I understand that April is not the ideal sunbathing and swimming time...however, what I am wondering is if it is still too cold to enjoy a few hours on the beach in the sun, reading a book or having a picnic, or if that type of acativity would still be enjoyable. Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
580 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

i went to naxos once in april maybe i think 9 years ago and the weather was so cold we would have to sit round a fire in the restuarant at night also in september of 2004 it was too cold for a few days to sit on the beach without a jumper on.. and in january of one year it was warm enough to walk around in a t shirt

Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
262 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

Both islands are beauiful.

However Naxos is bigger than Mykonos and I think more traditional. Mykonos gathers all the celebrities.

Naxos is more traditional but Mykonos has more intense night life.

Both have beautiful beaces. I think you won't be able to swim but if the weather is sunny and hot you could stay on the beach. You have to know that during spring the weather is unpredictable.

To your decission now... I would choose Naxos, because I don't like the whole Mykono's idea.

It's your decision. Think what you like most and what you want from your vacations.

Have a great time!!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naxos or Mykonos?

well....the sea is cold...this is true..it would be difficult...but if you can accept the cold...y=(i can accept it) you can stay in the water....but for sure is not weather for swimming