We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation home rental?

Boston...
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation home rental?

Hi all,

I am looking into the possibility of renting an affordable and small villa/apartment/home on Santorini during the third week of April. I will be travelling with one other person. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the best way to begin a search for this type of rental.

Also, I would love advice on a second island/location to visit. We are looking for a good blend of beach/town/culture. I don't love the touristy sites or party towns, although it seems that won't be a major problem in the springtime. Ideally, I'm looking to visit somewhere where I can sit on a beautiful beach for a few hours during the day, and then visit quaint shops, pretty town(s), nice restaurants, etc. in the evening. Something low-key but also with enough character to be interesting.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thank you!

Marin

florence
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation home rental?

Every summer we rent an apartment for our holiday on the greece islands!

This is the best way to enjoy your holiday.

Try:

Santorini:

http://www.oldoiahouses.gr/

or

greekhotel.com/cyclades/…home.htm

Paros:

http://www.aspasia-maria.gr/

Sifnos:

http://www.windmill-villas.gr/

Mykonos:

http://www.villakonstantin-mykonos.gr/

bye

Col

North Berwick...
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation home rental?

Naxos is a wonderful island with a great mix of culture, beautiful beaches and fabulous scenery.

Try www.naxosisland.com for a range of beautiful accommodation. We've stayed in the Potamia villa several times.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation home rental?

hi.

in santorini www.artmaison.gr, www.santorinivillas.gr. also a usefull site www.santorini.gr

Naxos is a very beautiful island www.villadelona.com

try also this site www.myhotel.gr.

information for naxos www.naxosisland.gr

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation home rental?

my suggestions for good apartments

www.anastasisapartments.gr

www.anteliz.gr

www.astra.gr

www.villailias.gr

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation home rental?

hi again!

try also this site www.kyklades.com.gr

massachusetts
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation home rental?

THat is just what I am looking for too. If you find anything, please forward.

dreamer2222

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation home rental?

Great information. I have heard that when you get off the ferries there are people with books of homes that you can rent. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation home rental?

hazenumber1, it's true there are people waiting at the ferries -- it was like running a gauntlet to reach the shuttle bus to our hotel on Mykonos when we arrived by highspeed ferry earlier this month!

Dozens of people waved signs, brochures and photos in my face as I walked past after disembarking from the ferry. From what I could see, though, they were trying to rent out only rooms or apartments in small hotel properties, rather than rent out complete homes. When I said I already had a hotel room booked, some of them very politely asked me if I'd like to take one of their brochures so I could consider them when planning my next visit to the island. It's possible some of those "people greeters" had homes they were seeking to rent out, but I can't say for certain that this was the case.

I do recall seeing some posters advertising private rentals on Mykonos and Naxos; these signs were attached to telephone poles or walls at various places on each island. I also noticed various tourist info & accommodation info offices on the islands; those places probably would be useful places to check for info on private rentals.

Hopefully someone with experience on private home rentals on the islands can give you better information on this topic.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,973 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation home rental?

Hazenumber1, I wanted to respond to your inquiry about a place to rent. Detached houses available to rent are scarce and very expensive, but both Mykonos and Santorini are full of small hotel businesses with all sorts of options from basic rooms to luxury villa-style suites. What is your budget? If you have an idea of what you are willing to spend and what amenities you require I'll try to steer you to some choices.........on Santorini. I'm not familiar with what's available on Mykonos, although they will be very similar in size, style and price. As a start, check out the Aspaki Suites, Volcanos Villas, Chelidonia Villas, Lampetia Villas, VIP Suites, Oia Mare, Ammoudi Villas, Fanari Villas and the Delfini Hotel. These are in various price and amenity categories.

The people who meet the ferries don't offer homes, they offer hotel rooms or rooms attached to private residences that have been built to provide some extra income for the family. Understand that the hotels on Santorini are almost all room complexes are constructed to give you the experience of being in an independent dwelling. This is done by every room having an exterior entrance instead of a bunch of rooms accessible off a series of hallways in a multi-storied building, as you'd find in a traditional hotel. No building is allowed to be built if it obstructs the view of another, at least as far as being on the cliffs overlooking the caldera. I don't believe there are many buildings that are over two stories tall. I can only think of one, actually, and it's more like a normal hotel anyway, the Atlantis Hotel in Fira.

Let me know if I can help.

10. Re: Vacation home rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 14, 2009