We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report

Hello there, just wanted to post my trip report on here as I had a marvellous time in Santorini and wanted to let everyone know what a lovely place it really is. I was travelling with my boyfriend and we are 25 and 26 years old.

We flew from Gatwick with Astreus Airlines on the 4th of October. I was very surprised with this airline, lots of legroom, pleasant staff, no delays or complications at all.

We stayed at the Vegerra Hotel in Perissa. It was a really lovely hotel, really clean and lovely looking, right on the beach, staff were friendly, had a balcony that looked out over one of the pools (theyre are 2 pools!).

We were in Santorini for only a week but managed to do lots of things but also did a lot of relaxing on the beach.

The weather was warm, about 75F most days, but there was a breeze so it wasnt boiling, it was just right. The evenings did get a bit colder though, not freezing.

We went on a day trip to the volcano, which was really good. The boat first took us to the volcano and the guide walked us up to the top. It is quite a trek, not for the unfit, or small children. Brilliant views from the top though, and we got to see smoke coming out of the rocks which was really cool. There is also a small hole where you can put your hand in and feel how hot the volcano is. It was very very hot!

Then the boat took us to another part of the island where we swam in hot springs, it was lovely, the parts by the rocks were really warm, like being in a bath! There was also mud on the sea floor which we rubbed on ourselves (supposed to be good for the skin!)

The boat then took us to one of the other small islands of Santorini called Thirasia, there wasnt really a lot there though.

It was a very good tour and would recommend it, it started about 9 oclock in the morning and finished about 4 oclockish, but is it a fun packed day.

For 2 of the days we rented out a quad bike (instead of a moped as they seem a bit safer, they are a lot slower). The quad bike was marvellous, sometimes a bit scary as the road were very windy and sometimes on the edges of cliffs. I am very glad we got the bike as it gave us a chance to see a lot of the island, we went to Fira which is a lovely little town, also to Oia which is quieter but still lovely. Also went to Kamari beach and the Red Beach. It was surprising to me how different all the parts of the island were. Fira was quite busy and bustling, Oia is a quiet little town. Perissa is a quiet beach town, Kamari is a beach town but a little busier.

Perissa beach was generally very quiet, as we went in the last week of the season. We found that some places had closed already for the winter, i think it would be nice to see what Perissa is like when everything is open and a little bit busier. I think September may be a good time to go.

It was nice when we went though because there wasnt many people around and was very romantic.

We had a really lovely time in Santorini and would definitely go back. Would definitely recommend it to everyone!

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

wow. very detailed review. Many thanks for this Tracey. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Greece.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Which company did you use for your trip to the volcano?

Thanks!

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

How much were the mopeds and quad bike rentals? Also, how much for the volcano tour?

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

I think the volcano tour was booked with a company called Hellenic Tours. I dont know for certain as our tour rep booked it for us. The volcano tour cost us 29 euros each.

The quad bike cost us 30 euros for 2 days. You can get them for about 18 euros for one day though. Not sure about the mopeds but i'm sure they would be around the same price.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

If you plant to rent a car for a long time, it can go at 17,8 euros/day, the least expensive I have found for friends this season

Squad is a solution for those who drive with a car drivers permission , but it is dangerous since it takes as much as a car on the road , but it is basically a bike , so you have to know how to use it properly...

In a cold weather like next month we expect to start, is really

freizing in the night time....

For car facilities you can mail me to porphyra@otenet.gr