We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

We are in Santorini 1 day off a cruise ship. Booked the ship's 8 a.m. tour for Akrotiri, which ends in Fira about 12 pm. Then, want to make our way to Oia. Do we take a bus or cab? Prices we should expect to pay? Assuming we arrive in Oia, then what? Where should we have lunch? We are a middle-aged couple - we want pretty views, photo opportunities, and a nice place to eat lunch. Then we have to get back to Fira and down the cable car to the cruise ship. Advice?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

To use your short time the best way and to make plenty of photos in IOA, take a cab, maybe even discuss with him also your return.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

Catch a cab to Oia (expect at least 20 Euro). Walk thru to the centre of town past the blue domes and down the Donkey steps to Ammoudi. There is a row of little tavernas. The last one Dimitris has fantastic live seafood (they were bringing it off the boat and into the bucket) as well as a great selection of other fish etc. They will call a cab for you to go back to Fira.

I have also heard that the first taverna also has great food but have not eaten there. The number 1 place to eat in Oia is 1800 but they were not open for lunch in June..

Chicago
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

No way, rent a car or ATV for the day. You can get it for 40 Euros a day. You can drive yourself and do your own thing. Cabs are pricey, and there are not many of them. You can get everywhere within 20 min for the most part.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

Have to second the car... sorry never thought of it because we didn't want to drive.. wrong side of road and wanted to drink....

greece
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

I suggest taking a cab to Oia, since buses are usually overcrowded. Then, take a walk in the village, and take the steps down to Ammoudi bay, about 20 min. walk. Have lunch in Katina, a traditional perfect greek tavern and then call a taxi from the restaurant to Fira. I don't suggest walking up the steps to Oia !!!

Have fun!!!

P.S. If you have time when in Fira, visit the archeological museum. It's very interesting

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

Yup, for one day forget the scooter...take the cab.

Poughkeepsie
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

I would like to rent a car, any suggestions rental agencies? Coming off a cruise ship. thanks.

paul goldstein

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

Shystermom,

I haven't been yet, but I did find in another post some info on the topic, and this is what I plan to do. The post was "rent a car from Spirodaktos in Fira – you can walk there, up the hill on the main road and ask for Nikos. He is candadian-greek and speaks English". Hope this helps. He was highly recommended by this traveler.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Fira to Oia? And then what do I do?

Hi Shystermoom , i definately reccommend you instead of Akrotiri the prehistoric museum in Thera...

Akrotiri IS NOT WET THE POMPEY OF THE AEGIAN.....

Everything valuable has been moved in the museum....

Its better to take the cable car and see the reproductions of the frescoes in Nomikow conference center, then towards Fira you can see the authentic frescoes in the museum and either on a bus or a cab to go to OIA....

It depends on the ship scedule...