We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Santorini

Level Contributor
105 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Santorini

We have one day to see Santorini in September. Four of us will be travelling together on a cruise and are deciding whether to rent a car for the day.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in Santorini

Two other great guide books with wonderful pictures are "Getting to know Santorini, Complete Tourist Guide" which you can pick up at International Press store in the central square in Fira, and Eyewitness Travel Guides' "The Greek Islands" which you can order on Amazon.com.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in Santorini

Breezey

You will be harboured off Fira and tendered in you will then have to get up the cliff by either donkey chairlift or walk up the steps. Fira and Oia are the main towns on the island and are reasonably well connect by bus and only a short distance to travel. The only places I would say that a car is usfull for on a one day stop over is to visit the excavation of the the 3500 year old town Akrortiri and to the Santo Winery. Both are worth a visit for obviously different reasons.

Another alternative would be to get together with a few other shipmates and hire a bus and guide from Kamari Tours but you would hae to phone ahead.

Best of luck

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in Santorini

Hi Breezey, its an excellent idea to rent a car but you need a guide book also to pick your own traject....

The less interesting thing to do is to visit a dig that is not completed, instead of the Museum where all important founds are taken from the dig....

I would go by foot grom the cable car to the Atlantis Hotel area to see the Museum and to take the car after for a tour in the island...

If anyone of you have questions about the frescoes, come by to give you answers in all of your questions, meanwhile you take pictures from the most beautiful view in the caldera...

Few steps below skaros tavern in Merovigli....

Note also the website from santorini. bus association...

I found it great and comfortable....

Level Contributor
105 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in Santorini

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to submit a response before so not sure if both will end up coming through at the same time.

While the cruise to these ports, yet only for a day visit at a time would not be ideal for some, it is ideal for us as this provides us an excellent overview of the various Greek Isles. As avid travellers, we can then decide which ones we would choose to return to. We dont follow the crowd or take cruise tours so are happy to wander on our own as suggested by some of the posters.

We do actually have the Frommers and Eyewitness Tour Books which have been great.

tks again all

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in Santorini

Breezey...

Your screen name reminds me of one additional suggestion. Do not rent a car for Santorini in advance when arriving by cruise ship. Since you have to be transported to the port by tender, you could be stuck on the ship if wind conditions prevent tender operation the day the ship is anchored there.

NYC
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving in Santorini

I too used Spiradakios to rent my car and they were great. I had a automatic (can't drive stick). You should see Boutari over Santo winery, Oia and the the port below Oia called Amooudi (I'm not sure I spelled it right) where you can get the best seafood lunch of your life at the Sunset Taverna. Fira is a must of shopping reason, if you like jewerly, check out Greco Gold., they are the only shop on the island that doesn't hassle you when you walk in. I recommend a cafe in imerovigli for sunset in Sept...by the way Sept is the best time of the year to see Santorini....enjoy

Puerto Rico
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving in Santorini

Just came back from Santorini three weeks ago after spending nearly a week there. We love it. Definitely you should rent a car. You could easily spent one hour waiting for a bus. Sunset at Oia a must. The best sea food is located at the very last restaurant located at the end of the road. (Dimitri). Stay at Imerovigli at one of the caves. One day would not be enough to enjoy all the pleasures this island has to offer.

18. Re: Driving in Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, October 15, 2005