We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

My husband and I have decided that we would like to plan to live on a greek Island for 3-6 months next year. Of course we are attracted to Santorini but would consider other islands. We are looking for a place to be... someplace quiet & lovely, maybe pick up a bit of work here and there doing whatever to help pay for our stay.

Has anyone done something like this? Any ideas on where we should look? When we should go? We are in our late 30's.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

I've done it twice, for 6 months each time. It was a long time ago when prices were much cheaper and the US Dollar was a lot stronger. These days I don't think I could afford it. The only way to make it happen is to go there before the tourist season begins and find a temporary place to stay while you ask around for a place to rent. The problem you will have is that property owners know the value of their properties in the tourist months and if they've been renting it before they will want enough money to compensate them for the loss of income during those months. Of course if you offer them 3 or 6 months rent in advance like I did it goes a long way to ease the so-called "loss" they might experience, but even still, considering what a tourist can get for 100 euro/day in high season, a house or apartment is worth a lot more, so you'll have to pay a lot more for it even long-term. Some of this depends on the months you're thinking about, but during high season, June-September, you can expect to pay at least 1500 euro/month for something decent, although less-expensive rooms can be found with a little determination. Making friends with locals helps, they might know someone and can put in a good word for you. Not insisting on a room/apartment/house in the most expensive area of the island is also a good way to save money. 1500/month was an estimate for a small apartment in a popular area of Santorini. Other areas of the island won't be as expensive, and other islands will be even less expensive. With a little determination I think you could find something for as little as 20-25 euro/day elsewhere. You just won't know until you try. I remember talking to an American girl in 2005 staying on Santorini who found a room in a private home in Finikia for 10 euro/night. I don't know if she had access to a kitchen, but obviously if you are staying for a long time you're going to want one. I spent a few days on Antiparos this last June. It was a lot cheaper there, and might be the sort of island you're looking for, although job opportunities would be few and far between on an island like that. The businesses are all pretty much family-owned so the workforce was all built-in.

Before taking a room/house long-term, be sure to check certain things about the situation you're contemplating. How good is your host's English? Can the two of you communicate well-enough to deal with any issues that come up? Is water and electricity included in the agreed-upon price? If not, how much extra will it be (expect to pay extra)? Is the plumbing in good shape? Any odors from the sewer system in the bathroom? How's the water pressure? Do the drains clear quickly? Hot water boiler in good shape? How well-equipped is the kitchen? Gas or electric cooker? Availability of bottled gas? I've had both and gas is sometimes difficult to find (always keep an extra bottle of gas for backup).

Good luck, I hope you can make it happen!

Mentioned in this post
Finikia
Finikia
Santorini, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

The best time to set this up is in late April before the tourist season starts, when the locals are "awakening from their long winter's nap" and they haven't seen any money from rentals for several months.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

thanks brotherleelove! i appreciate your advice. a crazy question perhaps... what is the island like in the winter months? i realize there would be little opportunity for work but i imagine accomodations would be cheap. is anything open? the idea of being there when all the tourists aren't appeals to us...

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

It's VERY quiet and most businesses are closed except those necessary to sustain the locals. It can get cold, of course, but the sun shines most of the time. Prices will be at their lowest and the locals will be more than happy to bargain with you for a good price on a house or apartment. If you're not used to the extreme quiet and if you don't speak Greek, you might feel too isolated.

5. Re: Long-Term Rental on Greek Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 06, 2009