We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

Vancouver
10 posts
Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

We are wanting to get from Bodrum to Santorini and aren't sure what the easiest way would be? Any ideas would really be appreciated!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

Fly via Athens.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

You can take a ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes and fly directly to Santorini via SkyExpress, a small Cretan airlines. You can also fly back to Athens and catch a connecting flight to Santorini.

You can take a ferry, but it's not a daily occurrence. Check with www.openseas.gr for the schedules.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,739 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

I have not seen any ferry connections between Bodrum and Rhodes, but there are daily connections to Kos (appr. 1 hour from Bodrum). From Kos you can have flights via Athens, or a ferry for Rhodes and the SkyExpress connection for Santorini.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,009 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

It is basically a difficult connection by ferry, at least requiring a few changes of ferries or stopping off for some days on intermediate islands, or trying to get rare inter-island flights, or via Athens.

A much easier idea would be to dump Santorini, and go to Nissyros an island with a volcano in the Dodecanese islands, a lot more characterful and far less touristy and over-hyped. Very easy to reach from Kos or Kardamena(Kos), same day connection coming from Bodrum no problem.

If you want other islands you have a choice of at least 10 easily accessible Dodecanese islands.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,739 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

I agree with Retired Hippy in that there are many Dodecanese islands which are easily accessible from Kos. However, if Santorini is your aim on your honeymoon, the only options are those given above.

Turkey and Greece are different countries, and connections between them are not that easy. Coming from Turkey you also reach the Dodecanese, which are a different group of islands than Santorini and thus on different routes for ferry connections. Even though the distances may not look big on a map, ferry routes are run and schedules set up by demand. Travel between the different island groups are not usually done on a frequent basis, and they use Piraeus as a hub between these.

Vancouver
10 posts
6. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

thanks for the info. The more I research, the more difficult I am realizing it is to get from Bodrum to Santorini! Thanks for the suggestions of other islands....less travel is better for us, but we would like to go somewhere other than Turkey. I will take a look at Nissyros!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,739 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

I am not sure whether Nissyros is the type of island you are looking for. Nissyros is small volcanic island, yet untouched by tourism but popular with day trippers from Kos (visiting the volcano). It has very few beaches but its wild beauty offers stunning views and remarkable walks.

Life is very laidback, but you can always take walks and discover the island on your own. It does not have a typical nightlife, but there are a few taverns where you can enjoy genuine Greek food and enjoy the peace. There are a few buses that can take you to the volcano and the main villages.

The main (and only) place for experiencing a choice of tavernas and some kind of shopping is the chora Mandraki. There is a hotel in the nearby fishing village Pali (4 kms from Mandraki).

I will rather suggest Leros or Tilos if you want to stay away from the main tourist tracks, or Kos & Rhodes if you are looking for beach life, attractions and tavernas as well as some night life.

8. Re: Getting from Bodrum to Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 05, 2009