We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

At the risk of sounding sad, I wonder if anyone could suggest a bar where my husband and I - both rugby fanatics - could catch one of the matches in the Rugby World Cup this September.

We don't need to see them all, but Wales are playing Australia in the most important match in their pool, and we really don't want to miss that!

The game is on Saturday September 15 at 14.00 BST, so I guess that's 16.00 on Santorini. We're staying in Oia, but obviously we'd be prepared to travel a little way if there's nothing there.

Thanks!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

There's a small restaurant on the main road, very close to the bus square. I think it's called "Polski Pizza". I've eaten there a couple of times and noticed that their TV was always on any sporting event that was playing at the time. It happned to be Football then, but perhaps you can ask them if they'll let you watch your games. Also, in Fira is Murphy's Bar. I think you'd be able to watch the games there.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

Ha! Brotherlee! I thought I'd catch you out on this one! You truly are an expert! Thanks very much - we'll probably go to Fira and get a taxi back. Mind at rest now!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

There is at least one self proclaimed Sports bar, plus at least one other bar always showing sport, in Kamari. Quite a trek from Oia though, but at that time of day very doable by bus for coming back.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

Joe

When you say it's 'doable' by bus, exactly how long is it likely to take? Don't know if I fancy Murphy's Bar in Fira, as it's had some bad reviews. But are we really likely to be able to see a rugby match on Santorini? Football, yes. But rugby union?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

Only about an hour or so by bus, about 25 mins Oia to Fira, and the same for Fira to Kamari. (you'll change buses at the station in Fira)

Head there in the morning, chill out on the beach and in the bars/restaurants, checkout the sports bars and ask if it will be on or they will put it on (its unlikely to clash with anything esle at that time is it?), and if the game isnt on, no harm done you've had a nice day out at the beach.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

MIght be worth noting that during the last world cup one of the SuperSport channels of the Greek satellite television operator Nova was showing the rugby with South African commentary (Nova is SA owned). Rugby is not at all popular in Greece so I am not even sure there was a Greek soundtrack available, probably for the ex pats. It might not even be be on one of the regular SS channels (1,2,3 or 4) could be something like SS Xtra or Special. Best to check on web www.nova.gr.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

That's very helpful, both. Thanks very much - fingers crossed!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

I think 'Polski Pizza' is actually Edwin's Pizza. There is also Edwin's Polski Lokal in an out of the way part (on the way by road to Ammoudi). Didn't go in either and did not notice TVs. OIa is not the sort of place to have bars with TVs. Murphy's Bar has S*y but it is expensive and uncomfortable (good TVs though).

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

You're right, it's Edwin's Pizza. He also owns Edwin's Polski Lokal across from the Post Office, that's what got me confused.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere to watch rugby on TV

Thanks again. Given our performances in recent weeks, we'll probably give it a miss and not risking spoiling our holiday!