We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in early October?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature in early October?

Is it still very warm in early October (i.e. - first week of October?) I'm not opposed to going that late, but I want to make sure it's warm enough to go to the beaches. Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
203 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in early October?

Everybody's temperature tolerances are different, so it's hard to say for you. For me, it often isn't warm enough for the beach because the wind can make it too chilly and the water is starting to get cold. For you, it might be fine.

Here's the historical weather data for Santorini for the last 10 years, including wind speeds, so you can decide how it would be for you: http://tinyurl.com/2pgwdq

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in early October?

Hi there

I agree regarding the possiblilty of winds but early October usually sees the sea water at the optimum temp for swimming, having spent all summer warming up. We've swam comforably in Kefalonia in late October , bearing in mind that the island is considerably farther north than Santorini.

Manchester, uk
Level Contributor
421 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in early October?

Hi

I have been to Santorini for the last few years in the first week of October. The weather is usually lovely and we go to the beach everyday and swim every day. Occasionally it is a bit colder but this is usually after 3pm when it sometimes starts to cloud over. It it a lovely time to go as it is a little bit quieter and more relaxing. As mentioned in other discussions it usually gets cooler in the evening but just enough to for a jacket or something

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in early October?

Although October can hit that 'iffy' stage...pretty much through about the 10th/mid-month, it should be fine...as GB stated, the waters tend to be at their best after being warmed up all Summer from the sun...usually the pattern continues for a while past Sept into the 1st couple of weeks of October but unfortunately no ones got a crystal ball for certainty:) Can get rainy and Santorini is known for it's winds anyway....I swam in Santorini in Oct...and Crete in Nov when there years ago so other than it being a 'coin toss', you should do well first week of Oct:) It does cool down quickly though as the the sun sets so a sweater/sweatshirt should do the job:) Enjoy!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
203 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature in early October?

See what I said -- everyone is different!!!

6. Re: Temperature in early October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 03, 2009