We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

Hi there,

My husband-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon to Santorini for 11 nights. We are thinking about staying in multiple areas whilst we're there. Has anyone else done this? We are keen to explore historical places, wineries and the red beach. Any suggestions of what you've done or can recommend is very appreciated!!

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

It's a small island so it's not really necessary. But if you prefer it then stay at one of the 2 resort beaches (Kamari & Perissa/Perivolos) for part of the time and at a caldera-view village (Akrotiri, Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli & Oia) for the rest of your time. Use the filter system to find affordable accommodations: www.booking.com

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

I don't know about "multiple areas", but if you feel you *have* to split your stay do as brotherleelove says and spend time at either Perissa or Kamari and the more expensive caldera side of the island if you want to splurge out on the honeymoon.

You can get around the island easily - it's only just over an hour from top to bottom by bus, less if you have a car.

Anything more than 2 locations is waste of time (and money).

Edited: 5:17 pm, August 12, 2018
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

Read the link about how dangerous Red Beach is (on the right side of the page) before you go "exploring it"!

Ingela

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9,957 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

As already mentioned, it's a small island so not much point in multiple centres.

The only reason to do a twin-centre would be to spend part of your time in Fira/Oia in an expensive caldera view hotel, then the rest of your time somewhere cheaper/less hectic such as one of the beach resorts like Perissa.

Perissa to Fira is only 1/2 hr drive anyway.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,887 posts
5. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

Santorini is about 16 miles long (Oia to Akrotiri) and 3 or 4 miles wide, so it's not necessary to stay at multiple locations to explore the island. If you are on a budget, splurging for a couple of nights in an expensive hotel on the caldera rim, then staying the rest of the time in one of the beach resorts might be a good idea.

For more variety consider spending a few of your 11 nights on one of the nearby islands, e.g. Ios, Naxos, or Paros.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

Hi,

I don't recommend that at all as it is a relatively small island.

Even if you stay in Perissa or Kamari beach(the main UK package resorts) you can easily get to anywhere else even using the bus system.

Much better to go to another island for half your time and return to Santorini for the second half.

That first island could be any one of Paros, Naxos, Ios, Sikinos, Folegandros, Anafi.

Anyone of which adds immense value to your trip, may even inspire you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
528 reviews
7. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

I suggest you split your 11 days with another island (or 2). Personally, as pretty as I think Santorini is, I couldn’t spend more than a few days there. There are tons of great nearby islands.

st helens
Level Contributor
316 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini

We did 7 days in Kamari followed by 4 nights in Oia. 4 nights in Oia was enough and at least you could get up in the morning and have a walk around Oia before the tour groups get there. If staying in Oia just be sure to book your restaurants beforehand.

Reply to: Advice on staying in multiple areas in Santorini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted