We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

The weather is so, so beautiful since days now and swimming is fantastic. The sea is so calm and the evenings are a humid bus so, so nice with no wind at all.

I don't understand when posters answer questions that they don't know anythng about, they don't even come here in the winter or late season.

So all of you who answers threads about october weather being chilly and windy with rain- PLEASE STOP IT!! At least say that it "MAY be, but also the other way around"..

And if you don't come here yourself in the winter, don't answer that everything is closed down and that no shops/hotels/restaurants are open. SO UNTRUE!! In thewinter more then 15000 inhabitants are staying and they also go shopping, eating and so on...Santotini is no longer only a tourist island...

Ingela

Ingela

13 replies to this topic
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

Both times I have been to Santorini in October the weather was chilly and windy. But because the weather is not always bad and if the island is busy in October I will change the way I answer those questions.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

I’ll restrict myself to only responding to queries about May/June/September as they’re the only months I’ve been.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,322 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

I just read the answers to your question of weather and the answers seem fine to me. Nobody can predict the weather more than five days ahead and most people will point the past averages to you from the experience.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

Thanks!

Since even Greece has been smitten by climate changes,the same goes the other way around. It's not possible to predict at all anymore...

Weather in September ex. always used to be perfect (not too hot) but this year it was like middle of august (very hot/no wind) and then suddenly very windy/chilly the last week.

Ingela

Edited: 5:24 am, October 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,322 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

Hi Ingela, I usually avoid answering the weather question unless I see somebody has got it badly wrong. Playa Blanca where we go is an all year around holiday resort but one still needs a cardigan in winter time and people have been told completely different and end up going unprepared.

It is so easy to google weather by monthly average for each resort and that is as near as one can get to predicting it but as you say climate is changing. People just having one experience will just as likely predict it wrong as one year can be as different to the next. If you have warm clothes you can take them and not use them but if it is cold and you don't have them you end up buying them

www.holiday-weather.com/santorini/averages/

Edited: 5:39 am, October 20, 2017
York, England...
Level Contributor
302 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

We're here right now and it's been lovely! Today was forecast cooler, windy and showers but we've spent the afternoon on the beach in Perissa and the car said it was 26 C at 4pm when we left ! Hoping tomorrow's forecast of thundery showers is also wrong!

Mentioned in this post
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

DelboyAylesbury is right on. I always just check online for historical averages of where I am visiting. Never understood why others don't do that.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

I allways have a laugh when I see in October a new thread popping up "What weather to expect in May?" How can anybody know that and give a correct answer? Yes there are averages but that doesn't mean it will be the same the next year. On the same island I have had over 30° in October and the next year 20° So how can one suspect to get a decent answer?

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

Nicksy, this is why I wrote this thread. Many regulars answering questions here often answers: "October is chilly windy and rainy", "March is rainy, windy" Since every year and every month, the weather is different. We can't even predict how the winter will be here anymore since some winters has been very rainy and some nearly no rain at all and many beautiful days. Since many people believe what regulars asnwers, they may be misleaded. And even if regulars have been here sometimes in october/march, doesn't mean that next year will be the same...So, I wanted to kindly ask the ones doing this to stop it...

Ingela

Edited: 4:21 am, October 25, 2017
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,322 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !

It is a difficult one Ingela, if you talk the weather up you can get a lot of disappointed people if it does turn out bad. If the weather can be iffy people want to know and best to say that but depends on their luck.

Reply to: By the way...you were wrong! WEATHER is amazing !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted