We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Ammoudi

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Ammoudi

I'll be in Santorini this weekend for the first time, and am unbelievably excited! Ever since I was young, I dreamed about swimming in Ammoudi Bay. Anything I should be aware of in terms of safety? I'm a fairly good swimmer, aware of my surroundings, etc. Any tips on cliff jumping? What are the best places to hit the water? (I understand it may be a bit chilly, but that's ok...)

Also, I heard the hot springs can change the coloring of light swimsuits. Is this true for the bay, too?

13 replies to this topic
brisbane
Level Contributor
406 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Swimming at Amoudi is delightful. You have to decide how you get there - driving down is easy, but you need to get a park (and deal with Oia traffic), walking down offers brilliant views, but can be really hot and yes, there are the donkeys see the info in the Top Questions). We walked down, when you get to the bottom, turn left and follow the path. There are a few adventurous moments, but nothing difficult. The swimming spot is fairly obvious - there is a concrete platform with stairs as an entry point and you can see the cliff jumping. There are no change facilities, but there are a couple of large rocks - if you are like me and don't like a big walk in bathers, take a sarong to aid changing! The water is so clear and so fresh and don't forget to gaze up the cliffs - such stunning views from the water. The cliff jumping has been built up - it is a large, very high concrete platform. I didn't jump from the large platform, all my adrenalin was used up watching my kids make the jump - even the youngest 10 year old braved it (although there is a low spot you can jump from around the other side of the big platform). Get your feet together to hit the water! There are stairs on the far side of the large platform too, which is easier than climbing up the rocks. We walked back up the stairs.

Now, a word of warning, I saw plenty of people struggling up those stairs. Have some water with you. And if you see a pack of donkeys tearing down the path veering toward you, no riders, their driver way behind yelling something, it can be terrifying! Apparently my approach (to flatten myself against the wall face in and my son says there was an expletive or two) was incredibly uncool. The swim was still worth it.

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Thank you thank you!!! I was worried the cliff jumping would be too dangerous but sounds like I'm ok!

Is it safe to leave a bag on the beach while swimming?

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Also my California slang came through. By "hit the water" I mean which areas of the bay to enter, not how to physically enter the water. :)

brisbane
Level Contributor
406 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

No, I thought it worth mentioning as you really do hit the water! My kids (who are quite small and slight) came away with a couple of obvious water slaps - it is worth keeping that in mind and they were given the advice after my son didn't the first time.

There were plenty of people around the swimming area when we went last month, many bags were left while people swam. My husband stayed back and watched our things (read, he didn't want to swim).

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

When you're ready to swim across to the little diving/jumping island be aware that there may be black sea urchins on the rocks. You definitely don't want to step on one as the spines are needle sharp and extremely brittle. It could ruin the rest of your vacation. You can bring some cheap tennies or reef walker shoes from WalMart because the rocks down there and on the little island are difficult to walk on in bare feet. They're easy to swim in and if you want you can leave them behind when you leave Santorini. You might be able to buy those reef shoes on the island, most probably in a shop at one of the beaches, Perissa or Kamari. There is no sand down there, only rocks.

Yes, the hot springs water will stain your clothing.

Please don't be tempted to ride the poor abused donkeys, there or anywhere else on the island!!

Edited: 8:32 pm, October 11, 2017
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

I don't recommend taking much in the way of valuables down there. If it's crowded and you're out on the little island with no one guarding your things anyone could just help themselves.

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Thank you Brotherlee!!!

Will the bay water change my suit colors too?

I wanted to bring my goPro in the water, and then a bag with our hotel room key and towel to keep on the beach. No large money. Should I be ok then?

Thanks again. Everyone is so helpful.

brisbane
Level Contributor
406 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Not in Amoudi Bay. Nothing but beautiful clear salty water there.

It is the hot springs around the volcano that stain swimsuits.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

A few things I always do as a precaution, and it doesn't matter how often I've been swimming there before.

1. First visit of the year - swim out below the platform and check where you'll be landing. It is very deep, into the caldera, but I always want to see with my own eyes that no rocks have come away from the island and are lying where I'll enter the water. Just your general "know how deep the water is" bit.

2. Wear either sandals or neoprene beach shoes. The platform is pebbled and its hard to get a good take-off and jump away from the rocks if you're doing the "eekk - ouch" thing 'cos the soles of your feet hurt.

3. Land feet first, rather than entering the water with you arms / head.

They might sound silly precautions to others, but I'm willing to appear silly if it keeps me safe.

As stated above, please don't ride the donkeys / mules. How would you like being forced to stand for hours in the sun with no shade, little (or no) water? Carry weights far too heavy and be prodded and/or hit with sticks, some of which have nails embedded in the end?

As much as I love Santorini, using the animals to carry tourists is such a bad practice. Frankly, its animal abuse.

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming in Ammoudi

Fantastic advice. Thank you so much!!! To be honest, Ive never cliff jumped before but it's been a dream. Im confident enough in my swimming/diving, and Im feeling adventurous.

I will not be riding donkeys. Im a huge animal lover and don't want to hurt them. I never knew it was so bad, so thank you to everyone for explaining.

Reply to: Swimming in Ammoudi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted