We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rather trivial question about shoes...!

York, England...
Level Contributor
307 posts
36 reviews
Rather trivial question about shoes...!

Hi, we arrive a week on Saturday (almost uncontainable excitement!!) and are travelling with hand luggage, so it therefore seems rather silly that husband, 2 kids and myself have 3 pairs of shoes each! This is mainly because we are bringing a pair of sturdier shoes each for visiting archeological sites like Akrotiri so my question is, what is actually needed? I get that flip flops/dainty sandals would be a bad plan, but would a pair of reasonably robust sandals, or crocs (kids) be ok?? Many thanks indeed. Alison

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

Wear the heaviest footwear to travel in, otherwise comfy & nonslip are the most important criteria :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,940 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

At Akrotiri you will be walking on flat, indoor man-made walkways. Barefoot would even be fine for that, so 'sturdy shoes' is overkill. But if you plan to do any walking on dirt/gravel/rock trails such as the hiking trail to Ancient Thera or the one between Fira and Oia then strong footwear is definitely the way to go. For walking around the villages and shopping areas regular footwear is all you need. Sandals or Crocs for kids would be fine there. I end up wearing lightweight slip-on canvas shoes or running shoes most of the time.

The beaches are black volcanic sand/grit/pebbles and get very hot so if you plan to spend time at one of the beaches you need something like rubber/nylon reef walkers.

Edited: 11:53 am, October 11, 2017
York, England...
Level Contributor
307 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

Great, thanks. The idea is that we wouldn't need the heaviest footwear at all (I have a fine plan to wear my sandals with socks at Manchester airport ;) ) The current plan is to have something that can be worn to the beach and around the pool at the apartment (flips flops for adults, crocs for kids - will that be ok for hot/bumpy beach?) and one other pair of shoes/sandals of a reasonably robust nature...

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,940 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

Flip-flops are next to useless at the beach if the sand is as hot as it gets, so that would depend on when you plan to be there. Mid-June through August is the hottest time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

I travel very light go in ballet shoes and only take 2 pairs cheap flip flops and leave there as I live in flip flops and have been all over Santorini. Worn them to ancient Fira and I was fine and am in late 60's and fit. Crocs fine for children. Enjoy this great island. Bet you'll be asking another question yet as Your probably really excited. The beach won't be red hot now I have been in June when you couldn't bare your feet on the black grit.

Edited: 12:39 pm, October 11, 2017
York, England...
Level Contributor
307 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

Thanks both. Brotherleelove, we're there in just over a weeks time so hopefully not too hot? Pamela I am very excited and yes will probably have more questions! Eek!

brisbane
Level Contributor
415 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

It also depends on what else you want to do and how far you want the kids to walk. We found running shoes great for Akrotiri, walking down to Amoudi Bay (depending on the age of your kids, I would really recommend going down for a swim there - mine are 13, 11 & 10) and if you wanted to walk around some of the villages. I would say wear them, then have crocs or similar in the luggage for almost all other occasions. We took hand luggage only from Australia too.

In September, we found we were able to walk on the sand with only a minor skip in the walk, but my kids do go barefoot a lot!

8. Re: Rather trivial question about shoes...!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 13, 2018