We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini in October

Denville, New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Santorini in October

Hubby and I will be in Fari, Santorini from Oct 19-26. How is the weather in Santorini in October? What is the water temperature? What is the currency rate? Are credit cards honored throughout the island? How is the scuba diving? Best restaurants (not too pricey)? Best island hopping prospect?

Too many questions...sorry!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
7 replies to this topic
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini in October

Sunny with high clouds during the day, chilly and windy at night.

Water is chilly but still swimmable.

Currency conversion: https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter

Credit cards now widely accepted but look for CC logos, or ask first.

Nothing much to see underwater except for sea grasses and algae-covered rocks.

Some excellent restaurants: Metaxi Mas in Exo Gonia, Skala in Oia, Taverna Kallisti in Pyrgos, Taverna Skaramagas in Monolithos, Katina's in Amoudi Bay, Mama's House in Fira for breakfast

Closest islands for hopping: Ios, Naxos and Paros

Mentioned in this post
Metaxi mas
Metaxi mas
272 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Pyrgos
Pyrgos
Santorini, Greece
Monolithos
Monolithos
Santorini, Greece
Amoudi Bay
Amoudi Bay
3,269 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Mama's House
Mama's House
2,208 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini in October

If you can't get your hands on a guidebook or two, take some time to read some of the previous posts on the forum. There's a wealth of information contained therein, which cover restaurants and island hopping. Although, you might be pushing it for the latter which is close to 'out of season'.

The search function defaults to 'relevance', change it to 'date' for more recent answers.

I'll let you research previous October temperatures - but bear in mind what's happened in the past, may bear no resemblance to what's going to happen in the future. I was there first week of June one year and it was really cold and I didn't have enough warm clothing. On the fifth day it was like someone flipped a switch and it was beautiful for the remainder of the trip.

Yes, most places will accept credit cards (Visa & Mastercard, with a smaller amount accepting American Express). Although, for smaller purchases or smaller vendors ('mom & pop'), may just want cash. Have some Euros on you for these times or for the public buses.

Scuba diving - not huge amounts to see. I'd pass on that option for Santorini.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
York, England...
Level Contributor
302 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini in October

We'll be there around the same time as you :) I'm using Accuweather to (rather obsessively ;) ) check the forecast. Looks like it will be around 20 degrees and a mix of clouds and sun, may have the odd shower, apropos of which we are packing layers and light waterproofs.

Fullerton, CA USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini in October

I'll be there this weekend too. Been checking the weather constantly....I am soooo excited!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
942 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini in October

I’ll be there on Monday in imerovigli can’t wait

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini in October

NOBODY can predict the weather so a correction: It MAY be chilly and windy in the evenings but it may also be only 2 Baufort and just cool. Many October days has been warm, sunny with no clouds and few has been raining plus clouds through the 25 years I have been living here.

Best weather site is the one that the Greek Marine is using:

poseidon.hcmr.gr/weather_forecast.php… or: www.meteo.gr/meteoplus/cf-En.cfm?city_id=20

Ingela

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
631 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini in October

Just returned from my first trip to Santorini and weather was perfect to me. Highs in low 70s F and sunny in day and 60s in evening. Often windy but not terribly. Would be very cool for swimming (that includes pools unless your accommodation has a heated pool which I think is relatively uncommon) to me but that is subjective. Shorts and pullover were fine for me in evening. Frankly I'm amazed at how the season ends abruptly at end of October given how pleasant it will continue to be from my checking year-round weather. But it is all subjective depending on your preference.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Reply to: Santorini in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted