We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

r c
Argentina
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Hi:

I want to know the opinion of the forum members:

If you have only one day to go the beach in Santorini where would yo go and why: Kamari or Perissa?

I might have only day to go the beach and I can't decide where to go.

Thank you very much for any suggestions!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
39 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa!!

oceanside,ny
Level Contributor
609 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
29 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa - it's a much longer and less crowded beach than Kamari with a brilliant range of restaurants, cafes and bars.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
265 reviews
137 helpful votes
4. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. If you want easy access to shops and restaurants Perissa and Kamari are best.

But if you are looking for a less typical beach go somewhere else, away from the well-known destination beaches and the crowds they attract. The best swimming on the island is below Oia at the end of the seawall that begins on the wharf in Amoudi Bay. There's no beach but there are large rocks and a man-made platform down there for sunbathing. This is what it looks like: http://tinyurl.com/kwnqvo3

Vlichada Beach is another interesting one and it's less-crowded than Kamari and Perissa: http://tinyurl.com/mprpjqf

From Vlichada you can take a water taxi to White Beach, but don't go to Red Beach as it's very dangerous. The rock cliff above the beach is extremely unstable and large boulders can fall onto sunbathers without warning.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa and ...Vlichada Beach.

Ios, Greece
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
872 posts
55 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

you can do a day trip to ios island too ,they have the most amazing beaches and coves , a lot of the locals pop over to ios too

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
18,112 posts
18 reviews
41 helpful votes
8. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Perissa - If for general swimming, less crowded as its more spread out and the chance to eat at the wonderful Ntomatini.

Kamari - If you fancy swimmimg out to the two large clusters of boulders in the water. Then finish the day by walking to the open air cinema on the outskirts of the village. Movies are in English (with Greek subtitles) and start at 21.30.

If you want to be active - start at Perissa early and hike up to Ancient Thera (opens 08.00-15.00. Closed Mondays). Walk down to Kamari.

Otherwise, there's a water taxi between the two resorts between around 10.00-17.30 (doesn't operate in high winds). You'll need to wade a little into the walk to board / disembark the boat.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
95 reviews
208 helpful votes
9. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Out of the two it would definitely be Perissa for me due to the much longer and less crowded beach.

r c
Argentina
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Beach Day in Santorini: Kamari or Perissa?

Thank you very much for your answers?

I was wondering how to reach Ios and return to Santorini on the same day?

How frequent and expensive are the ferries?