We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island ??

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which island ??

Paros , Naxos or iOS ......which one , can't do all three so would welcome your comments .

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island ??

Impossible to answer without further info.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island ??

Yes, need further info. What time of year etc. But possibly Paros. Paroikia or Naoussa..

NT

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island ??

Hello iamtheone

I would have thought you'd have been able to get an idea of what these islands were like last year on your island hopping trip from Crete, finishing with a flight home from Athens.

If, however, you never made that trip as I suspect, I would recommend Paros. Lovely beaches, restaurants, scenery, and very quiet compared to Thira and Mykonos. Apart from a few Dutch package holidaymakers, most people have made an effort to get to Paros independently, and it's worth it.

My rule of thumb is that if you can't fly to an island directly from the UK, it's going to be all the better for it.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island ??

Ok. No further information. Wouldn't do Ios but would do Naxos and/or Paros most times of the year. If you provide more info, then you will get more info.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island ??

Not on the pc morning noon and night. Sorry it has taken two days. Don't appreciate your sarcasm !

Was thinking June or September , but definitely want to visit Mykonos and santorini, so just need one other.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island ??

Are you looking for a family holiday with kids or a holiday with friends looking for nightlife? what are your priorities?

I loved Paros for a perfect combination of all, great beaches, villages, fun, people.

Naxos is bigger, the west part has beautiful long sandy beaches, east side I didn't like, good food, mostly recommended for families and relaxation.

I haven't been to Ios, but it's famous for its younger crowds and nightlife.

If you can choose between June and September, go for June, the days are longer, weather is warmer and better.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island ??

My partner and I..not interested in a wild nightlife, just lovely Greek food , and a peaceful holiday .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which island ??

Then Paros and Naxos would suit you, make a small research to see which one appeals to you most.

If you go to Naxos, have a look for accomodation at Plaka area, it's relaxing, the beach is fantastic and you are in walking distance from many tavernas and restaurants in Plaka itself, Agia Anna or Agios Prokopis. Hora (the main town) is beautiful too, but it's busier. I wouldn't recommend to stay directly in Agia Anna because of the big mosquito problem they have, plus the beach is too crowded with sunbeds over there.

Ideally, rent a car and visit traditional villages such as Apeiranthos and Filoti and don't miss Alyko, the best beach of the island (IMO).

As far as Paros is concerned, I have stayed in Naoussa, Paroikia and Aliki, Aliki was the most peaceful as it is just a small village, Naoussa is the most picturesque and Paroikia the busiest. A car would be recommended here as well in order to go around the island, which is smaller than Naxos and overall more beautiful IMO.

Happy planning!

portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which island ??

Thank you for your advice. Will get planning !!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which island ??

There will no young crowds or nightlife in Ios in June or September. Ios will be very quiet with acres of empty beaches to have just for yourself. That peacefulness is exactly the reason why I've been going to Ios every year since I discovered it. I even rank it higher than Naxos these days.

Get answers to your questions about Paros