We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

We have been recommended the above hotels in Parikia for 3-4 nights.As we like a place where we can walk to beach and restaurants etc...though at night we like it quiet to get some sleep!which one would fit our requierments as both are within our budget?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

When are you planning to visit?

We have stayed at the Irene Hotel and Studios and at Anna Platanou.

We like the Irene Hotel and Studios because they are round the bay from the port at Livadia (which is a reasonably good beach). It is about 7-10 minutes stroll around the bay. We have always had a balcony which overlooked the bay and we like that. There is a road which runs along the front of the bay - we have not stayed in July or August so don't know how busy/noisy it gets.

Anna Platanou has rooms, stuiods and an individual apartment at different locations (though all reasonably close to each other). They are at the other side of the bay from Irene and are more "in town" - though it is quite pretty and they have nice areas to sit (in the studios at least).

Both are close to the beach and both are run by very nice people. We prefer he view from Irene Hotel and Studios and also to have nice views.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

I have stayed twice at Anna Platanou,the people are very friendly and the accomadation is of a good standard.The area is quiet but only about 5 minutes to the seafront.However,it is quite a long walk to the Livadia beach area.

It would be handy to know when you are going and what your budget is.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

Both hotels have very friendly people. The Anna Platanou is in the inside of Parikia so it doesn't have any views. Very much set amongst small, narrow streets, which can be very attractive if that is what you want. In August it can also be too close to the clubs if you want to sleep well.

The Irene is in a much more open place and it is really only a 7 minute stroll around the bay. It is in a much more open space with much more air. It is also close to Krios beach which has some of the best swimming on the island (apart from Drios which has, IMHO, the best swimming on Paros).

Up to you really. A lot would depend on when you are planning to stay.

ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

We will be there from 12th to 16th(approx) June.Does "open" mean there are no buildings around it?Is it..Irene near a bakery or a cafe?Is Krios beach not out a long way from Parikia?Our budget is 40-50 euro.Thanks

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

Sorry - by "open" I mean that it has great views and it is just across the road from the beach. There are mini markets and plenty of bars and places to eat around the Irene - just across the road you have a choice of breakfast on the beach from two other hotels/restaurants. It is about a 20 minute walk from Livadia beach round to Krios beach. So you are around 5-7 minutes from the centre of Parikia, Lividia beach is on the doorstep and Krios is 20 minutes walk away (you can also get a small boat across the bay to Krios from the port).

Anna Platanou is also close to the sea front - at the other side of the bay from Livadia. Both Anna Platanou and Irene hotel and studios will pick you up at the port if you let them know which boat you will arrive on and they will also arrange to take you back to the port.

Your dates in June sound good. Paros won't be too busy but busy enough with everything open. If you are planning to see other places on the island by bus, then be sure to buy your tickets from the kiosk at the bus station in Parikia before you get on the bus (the bus station is just besdie the ferry terminal).

ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

Thank you for all that info,gives me a better idea of the area but its so had to decide with so many choices!I m afraid we re not into swimming so we want to be near the beaches for "air" and walking...Is it worth going to Drios for the day to go to the beach..Is there any shade on it?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

I think it is well worth going to Drios for the day. There is a pebble beach there, plenty of trees at the back for shade and there are a couple of good tavernas. We usually have lunch at To Kyma - sitting under the tamarisk trees.

If you like to walk, then you can walk from Drios along the coastal path to Golden Beach (beautiful beach but very little shade), it's about 15-20 minutes away. You can also carry on to Logaras - which is about an hour from Golden Beach. Fisilani's taverna on Logaras beach is very good. You can then pick up the bus from Logaras back to Parikia.

Lefkes is also worth a visit - especially if you like walking as you can walk down from Lefkes to Prodromos on the Byzantine path - its takes between and hour and a quarter and an hour and a half.

Walking round the headland from Livadia beach in Parikia to Krios is also a nice walk. Krios is a nice beach but there is very little shade. There are a couple of mediocre tavernas there - I wouldn't recommend them though.

When you pick up your tickets from the kiosk at the bus station, ask for a timetable. They have printed ones which they give out. The timetables in June will probably change each week - so make sure that you get an up to date one.

If you need any more information, please just ask.

ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

Thanks alot..great to know a few places to eat as we travel around....would you have any suggestions for eating in Parikia as we ll be eating there most nights..simple but nice food...salads,chicken,lamb,fish?We like to try where the locals go..

Another question,should we allow an extra day to go to Antiparos?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

Apostolis is a good restaurant and lots of local people eat there. They serve primarily fish and meat and I think their fish is good. From the port it is round the bay towards Livadia beach. They usually have the squid hanging outside.

In the other direction, there is a good, local restaurant called "Christos" - they serve good, local food and, so far, they are good value for money (Christos is in past the bus terminal, about 2 minutes walk). There is another restaurant where we eat but I don't know the name of it!! I'll need to look the next time we are there (in July) but that won't help you as you are going in June. Sorry about that.

It may be worth considering getting the bus to Naoussa and having an earlyish dinner there in the old harbour. The sunsets are really good and there is a great restaurant called Vitsadakis. If they have sun dried makerel (guna) then I would definitely recommend that. We usually share one because they are so large. You just need to make sure that you get the last bus back to Parikia - and that may be around 8 o'clock in June (or it may be earlier - you need to check the timetable). Naoussa is worth a visit and a wander round.

Re. Anti Paros. It really depends on what else you would be missing out on. Anti Paros is very nice and if you have the time then, yes, it is worth a visit. You can get the number 4 bus to Pounta and get the ferry across (about 7 minutes) or you can get the small boat from Parikia which leaves from near the port (you would need to check if they have started doing the trip - I'm not sure if they will run in June).

I realise I haven't really answered your question: I think it depends on where you are going next after Paros because you would be losing a day at your next destination.

ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paros..Anna Platanou v Irene Hotel

So..that was going to be my next question...we are going to Naxos next ,havent anything booked yet (or in Paros),but we have from 16th/17th to 22nd there.

Had considered going to Santorini for a night but depends on how we like the others!We do like to have something booked for 1st night but it also ties us to moving when maybe we d like to stay longer.

Thinking of staying 2 nights near georges beach and then going south west to stay in an hotel with a swimming pool for our final 3 nights.Would it be very quiet down there in June?

also hoping for a few restaurants in Naxos please.

Get answers to your questions about Paros