We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Richmond, Canada
7 posts
Itinerary

We are six people planning three weeks in Greece, mostly the islands. Thinking Paros, Mykonos, santorini and possibly Rhodes, or maybe a few days on a boat. What order would be best to make the ferries work best and how many days each island? We are planning on staying a few days in each and probably do Airbnb. Any advice would be great!

13 replies to this topic
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
1,208 reviews
663 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary

To give you advice you need to tell us when you will be visiting Greece and what your interests are. Note that Airbnb is not as prevalent in the Greek islands as other booking sites.

Richmond, Canada
7 posts
2. Re: Itinerary

Thanks, we are going from about the 15th of September for three weeks.. three couples looking to rent a house or suite with kitchen,decks etc. We want to stay in one place on each island and explore from our home base. We would like to be walking distance to town.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary

Santorini, Paros, and Mykonos are easily traveled between them by ferry. Rhodes is only connected by ferry with Santorini and not the other two. All the islands you mentioned have airports but all flights are between Athens and each island only and not between islands. It's best to fly from Athens to the island furthest away and thereafter take ferries to each island working your way back to Athens such that your last night is spent in Athens. This way if there are any delays you minimize the chances of missing your return flight from Athens.

Without more information about what your likes are, it's difficult to make recommendations. While it's true Airbnb isn't as prevalent on the islands, VRBO is. Also, three couples sharing the cost opens up possibilities for a villa. Here are three websites for you to peruse. One will provide you with all the ferry schedules during your time in Greece. The second is VRBO. The third is a reputable high end villa rental company and you might find their island portraits interesting.

Not sure about a few days on a boat. Most charters are 7 day Saturday to Saturday from Athens but maybe you can find something on one of the islands.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

openseas.gr

VRBO.com

Fivestargreece.com

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
265 reviews
136 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary

Rhodes is the odd one out on your list of islands so I would keep it simple and look for alternatives (of which there are many!).

It makes sense to travel within the same group of islands and all your other choices are in the Cyclades

Not sure what attracted you to Rhodes but if you list your interests and what you hope to see/do I am sure that better alternatives can be suggested.

Airbnb isn't the best option in Greece. Have used in Athens but never on the islands .

Edited: 5:02 pm, May 15, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
97 reviews
320 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary

I have a post which may help but it includes Crete rather than Rhodes, although they are interchangeable.

The Cyclades are incredible but its natural to want to perhaps see a little more diversity on a visit of 3 weeks or so especially if you are travelling a long way. On our first visit we did Paros, Santorini and Chios ( we flew there from Athens and you can do that for Rhodes or Crete as well).

This itinerary even includes a quick visit to the Saronic islands as well if you want.

https://traytablesaway.com/3-weeks-in-greece/

Richmond, Canada
7 posts
6. Re: Itinerary

Thanks so much, I think we’ll skip Rhodes. I’ll start looking at vrbo, I have used them before.

What island would you suggest as our fourth, staying in the same vicinity. Also, where would you stay on Mykonos and Paros is you were only staying one place?

Richmond, Canada
7 posts
7. Re: Itinerary

Thanks so much!

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Itinerary

An unusual and beautiful island that would fit in an easy ferry schedule with Paros and Mykonos is Milos.

Milos has an airport so you could fly there first and ferry to Paros and Mykonos later. Look at Sarakiniko Beach to give you an idea of what Milos is like. Alternatively, as Tray Tables #5 suggests, Crete would make a good change of pace and would fit with air and ferry travel similar to Milos.

In and around Naoussa is the best place to stay on Paros. Adamas or Apollonia on Milos and Chania on Crete would be my suggestions. I can't help you with Mykonos as I haven't been there in many years.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Itinerary

Sorry, I forgot about your Santorini stop....Milos or Crete would work with Milos, Paros and Mykonos.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
97 reviews
320 helpful votes
10. Re: Itinerary

You can see on the itinerary link I posted that I highly recommend Milos too.

You may find even less on VRBO than Airbnb. Both are certainly in operation on the islands but not very welcome. The general sentiment is to try and support the local family run hotels.

For recommendation on both locations and hotels check this out :

https:/…

Reply to: Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted