We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Star Ferries

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Star Ferries

Sorry, Guys, posted original text on wrong forum.

Have been looking on the Blue Star web site and I see that from 1st April they are doing Super Economy Fares for Cyclades for destinations from Pireaus (20 euros each way). . It states you cannot book on-line so I called direct to book only to be told these fares do not exist. Emailed the information desk and got a very 'curt' one liner back saying 'There are are no Super Economy Fares!!. Even though I questioned the fact that it states this on their web-site, I do not seem to be gettting anywhere with this one. Has anyone got any theories regarding this mystery, or similar experiences. Thanks.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Star Ferries

I do not think it is a mistery. These tickets are limited in number so they are gone the moment Blue Star releases the schedules and opens bookings for yhat specific period of time. For April 2014 that was probably at least 3 months earlier, probably even in 2013. You have left if too late. I know only one person who managed to get them in the past and that was immediately after the schedules were released. It required daily stalking of Blue Star's website. Of course you will not get anywhere - you cannot force a company to sell you discounted tickets if they are no longer available.

Edited: 12:23 am, April 02, 2014
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Star Ferries

I've wondered about the process of buying super economy tickets. One of the conditions reads "- Tickets must be issued upon booking." To me that implies you would either have to be there in person or pay to have the tickets couriered. Tickets are not the same as the reservation number received when you book online.

At any rate the normal economy fare from Piraeus to Naxos is €33.50, and my time is worth more than the €13.50 I would save by chasing up super economy fares.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Star Ferries

That particular person bought the super economy tickets by calling Blue Star when they went on sale and then picked up the paper ones from their ticket kiosk in Piraeus a few weeks later. And that was quite a long time ago when they were 10euros to Naxos (now they are apparently 20 as the OP says).

I have never seen the super economy fares on line, but Hellenic Seaways say the same thing on their website >>>Yellow color denotes that specific accommodation class belongs to the Super Economy offer. It is valid for a limited number of seats through simultaneous booking and issuing of tickets<<< and have no problem with selling them online and issuing the paper tickets later at the port, so I do not really know what that statement really means in Greek English.

Edited: 3:46 am, April 02, 2014
Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Star Ferries

Hi All, Thanks for the information. Have booked tkts and arranged to pick them up fron the Blue Star ticket booth at Pireaus Port. Does anyone know what time the ticket booth might close as our ferry is 7.25am on 4th June and we arrive the evening before staying overnight in Pireaus. We arrive at Pireaus on the bus from the airport at appx 8pm. Will the ticket booth be open then in the evening to collect the tickets or does it open early the follwowing morning . Any info appreciated.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Star Ferries

It is open well before the boat departs you will have plenty of time to pick up tickets in the morning.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Star Ferries

Recommendation from the ferry company:

https://flic.kr/p/am9fn2

7. Re: Blue Star Ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 09, 2015