We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in inland mountain villages

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in inland mountain villages

Does anyone know if is is possible to book a room or studio in one of the mountain villages like Apiranthos, Filoti or Chalki?

My husband & I are planning to go to Naxos around the 1st week in September 2013 7 fancy staying in a typical Greek village & we hope to do a lot of walking while we are there.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

www.greek-visiting.com/index.php…

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

Thanks for the website. Have you stayed here & if so do the rooms or studios have en suites? From what I can gather from the website, the only way to contact is by phone.

Liz

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

There are very few accomodation options on the net in the mountain villages. Your best opportunity to find some is to go around and see if you find anything available in the villages of your choice.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

Haven’t stayed at the accommodation, to be honest your thread intrigued me, someone wanting to stay a week away from the beach resorts. So I just did a search for accommodation in our favourite inland village, Filoti …spent a few hours there this June and also last September) and came up with the website-like GT says there is little information regarding places to stay in the interior of the island.

Not sure if you’ve visited any of the inland villages but IMO Filoti would be the most suitable for a week’s stay, a typical Greek working village with a sprinkling of Taverans and Bars for the quintessential Greek night life. Again IMO I wouldn’t choose Apiranthos or Chalki……..one is set up for day trippers(touristy) and the other hasn’t got the same Greek buzz as Filoti.

I admire you wanting to stay in the interior but it’s something we wouldn’t want to do, especially with all the excellent beach resort/Town…..just a thought… more choice of accommodation on the coast with easy access to the inland village by numerous modes of transport.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

Thank you for your response. We have never visited Naxos before but we love mountains & enjoy off the beaten track locations. We do also love beaches but we are planning to spend our second week on Amorgos & will be staying on the coast there, so thought it would be nice to experience a traditional mountain village for our first week. We are planning to hire a car so travelling around the island should not be a problem. I do take on board what you have said about more choice of accommodation on the coastal resorts though. I will try & ring direct the rooms you found in Filoti & see what response I get & if they speak English! Many thanks again.

Liz

Edited: 12:35 pm, October 21, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

If I had to choose, would take Chalki, it is more picturesque, a bit more central and more importantly, many walking trails at your doorstep. There is a small hotel in Chalki, in the center but cannot recall the name.

Filoti is indeed somewhat bigger but too,local, meaning if your greek is not fluent, you may have to use sign language. I would feel more at ease in Chalki but its a personal opinion.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

If I remember correct, the hotel in Chalki is named hotel Halki. I have walked by a lot of times, but never seen anybody around.

If you are going to Amorgos after Naxos, I would consider staing in Chora instead of at the coast. Chora Amorgos is wonderful, and one of the most typical island villages, with some good accomodation and tavernas. The experiences of staying there or just a day-vist are very different. The path down to the Monastry is a nice walk. The beaches of Amorgos are just a little above average, while the beaches of Naxos are splendid.

Edited: 5:05 am, October 22, 2012
8. Re: Accommodation in inland mountain villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 24, 2013