We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

Hi, is it possible and easy to get a bus from the town to Mikri Vigla beach and then walk back from there along the various beaches? I did something similar in Fuerteventura which was around 20km and I think this would be around 16?

Thanks!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

p.s. this would be at the beginning of October, hope the buses are still running then?!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
2. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

There will no be very many buses to Mikri Vigla in October - one or two a day. I have never walked from Mikri Vigla to Chora but I have to Agios Prokopios and then got a bus to Chora. Buses to Ag. Prokopios-Ag Anna-Plaka should still be running much more frequently, so that's an idea. The walk itself is very pleasant though some short parts must be done on the road as towards Mikri Vigla there are some rocks in the sea blocking the passage.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,882 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

I often walk to and from the Agios Prokopios \ Agia Anna area to and from town, distance appr. 6 kms. From Agia Anna you will have to follow the road through Plaka and then on dirt roads in the interior until you reach Orkos (neighbouring Mikri Vigla). In my eyes it is a long walk and I don't find it very interesting.

Like Ozzlem mentions there will be few public buses to and from Mikri Vigla to town in October. This is the latest bus update as of August 31st:

http://tinyurl.com/d25kxgh

Here is to give you an idea of the interior dirt road:

http://tinyurl.com/68jl3c7

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
4. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

Actually, as fas the Ag. Prokopios to Vikri Vigla part is concerned there is no need to go on to the road before Orkos - all that distance is one long beach with some rocks near Ag. Anna but there are some wooden paths built to bypass the road and the rocks.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

We often walk from Prokopios to Mikri Vigla and it is a pleasant 90 mins walk. For Prokopios to Chora add 50 minutes to this time, a little more to get right down to the port. The bus from Chora to Plaka is very frequent and from the last stop on Plaka beach you can walk to Mikri Vigla in less than an hour.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

Thanks for the replies. What about cycling to Mikri Vigla and back? Can I rent a bike in the main town and is it fairly flat? Is it safe?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
7. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

I have never cycled in Naxos myself but I think I have seen a bike rental in the street that goes from the port towards the Grotta area. The problem might be that the flat road to Mikri Vigla along the coast is largely a dirt road (after Ag. Anna) which may not be a lot of fun on a bicycle. The route taken by the bus is asphalted but quite hilly. As far as safety is concerned there will not be a lot of traffic in October so it should be OK.

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

If you walk up to the main square with the fountain in the middle and exit on the road running down to St. Georges beach that passes the cemetery there is a large car hire business on the right hand side that also has bikes to rent.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

Thanks. Can't wait, only a few more weeks to go now. Never been to Naxos before, really looking forward to it. Been to Santorini and Andros before.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Beach walk from Mikri Vigla back to Chora?

So is it generally still sunny and warm enough to go swimming in the first two weeks of October?