We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental and Parking Rules

Level Contributor
43 posts
Car Rental and Parking Rules

Hi, I have some questions about driving around Naxos. Travelling period: Mid May

1) Does anyone has any good and reliable car rental company to introduce? I am looking at auto tour rentacar rental.

2) Where can I park in Naxos if I am staying at St. George Beach Kymata hotel? Do I need to pay for the parking?

3) When I travel out of town into the villages to explore, are there designated parking spaces at all villages or can I just park at the side of the road?

4) Are the car park signs clear at all villages?

5) If I were to drive from Naxos town to Apollonas along the coast and back via the mountains, will a Nissan Micra's petrol last for the day?

6) Are petrol stations scarce out of Naxos Town?

7) So I need to purchase parking coupons and where can I get them, or parking around Naxos are mostly free?

I am concerned about the petrol as I read a blog from a traveller saying that he has almost ran out out fuel at Apollonas and was a nerve wrecking drive back as there was no petrol stations around. I would also like to have a clear picture about parking as I do not wish to be fined.

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
217 reviews
197 helpful votes
1. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

My preferred car rental on Naxos is Fun Cars. Auto tour and Fun Cars have their offices at each side of the corner near the ferry port. In May I just walk in and ask for a car. No problems unless you need an automatic.

There is a large car park 2 min walk away from Kymata. The first time you are driving to Kymata the narrow streets may scare you. Fun Car have an other office closer to Kymata, or you may ask the reception in Kymata to arrange a rental. The rental company finishes the paper work in the reception and you will have the car delivered outside the door of the hotel.

There are designated parking areas in some villages. As you may see when you are there, people park anywhere there is an open space.

A Nissan Micro petrol may last for several days driving. The rental cars are normally delivered with an almost empty tank, and expected to be returned the same way. I normally rent a Fiat Panda. I fill up with "petrol for 30-euros", which will last for 5 days driving. You dont get any refunds for excess petrol.

You find several petrol stations in Naxos Chora and along the road towards the villages Chalki/Filoti. Not that many at the coastal road towards Appolonas.

You never pay for parking on Naxos. If a parking lot is empty, it is free for you. The only place I have seen parking police is in the port area. This is to make sure buses and traffic to and from the ferries are free to pass. You may see the locals are double-parking, and putting on the warning blinkers, to run in and buy the cigarettes in a kiosk. As long as other cars may pass by, it is accepted. The same outside the bank.

Mid-May is a total un-problematic period for driving on Naxos because all the crazy tourists suddenly stopping to take a picture hasn't arrived yet. Enjoy yourself.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
129 reviews
84 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

Nothing much to add to Periscopes reply other than to say the free parking lot at St George beach is beside Nissaki Hotel which is a couple hundred meters from Kymata. All very civilized. We too have used Fun Cars since 1996.

A thought for you. Since you will be renting the on a 24 hour basis, if you want to get away early in the day then arrange the rental for the night before you want to use the car. That way you are free to take off when you ant to. Greeks are not at their best in the early morning since they work late into the night so getting a quick start to your day can be held up with the paperwork.

By the way you really can't use your rental car in Naxos town other than to park it. You should plan your rental around the days you intend to use to tour the island.

For fun here are images of Naxos

Trip around Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

Naxos sunsets https:/…72157700728046481

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

Based off the above experts' advice, we rented from Fun Cars last year. Reserved in advance for an automatic and were given a Nissan Micra, I think we just put a full tank in it to be safe on our way out of town. We went to the Fun Cars office near Kymata (where we were also staying) the night before our planned road trip day. The woman gave us the keys and a map and allowed us to just keep the car in their parking lot for the night. We walked back in the morning, picked it up and were on our way.

Most towns, as I remember, you just parked along the streets. No need to pay. At Apeiranthos, there is a designated lot since you can't drive through that town but you won't miss it.

Driving around Naxos was a lot of fun and very easy. Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
43 posts
4. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

Thank you very much for the detailed and useful information. 😊

Level Contributor
43 posts
5. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

I have checked fun car and rides website. I can't seem to see any rates when I tried to reserve it. How do I know the price?

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
217 reviews
197 helpful votes
6. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

Send them a mail and ask for the price. Then reserve if you are satisfied with the price. A one-day rental always has a higher day-rate than a multiple day rental, so be spesific on how many days you to wants to rent.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

We rented from MotoPower last year and ,and were very pleased

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
374 posts
71 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

Hi Joanne, on the question of running out of petrol you can reassure yourself by checking distances using Google maps or similar. In Google directions if you use a start point of Naxos port and an end point of Apollon you see that the distance is 41 km.

Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
30 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

It will cost you approx. 40 euro per day.

Petrol stations are somewhat scarce outside of town but if you leave with a full, or close to full tank, there is virtually no way you will run out of petrol. Naxos is not that big of an island.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
217 reviews
197 helpful votes
10. Re: Car Rental and Parking Rules

If you are out for only one day, dont ever fill up the tank totally, or you will. have to "give" half the tank to the rental company.

Reply to: Car Rental and Parking Rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted