We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

Hi All

Would really appreciate some advice from all you Mykonos fans. I am thinking about a week on a Greek Island next month (June). Islands I am really keen on which I haven't visited before are Corfu, Samos and Mykonos.

I have visited The Balearics alone before and was fine but I really love Greece and really want to visit one of the islands. However I find that Greece can be full of families and couples and I really want to not look conspicuous as a solo female (I am 39 by the way). For this reason I have discounted Corfu and Samos.

From the research I have done it seems that Mykonos has a lot of people passing through including backpackers and I just get a feeling that nobody would give a flying wotsit about a person on their own. I know It doesn't matter what others think but it's nice to just feel comfortable.

I don't drink so the party scene doesn't interest me. I love reading by the pool/beach and enjoy a bit of exploring with some shopping thrown in for good measure! And I love the traditional Greek tavernas and watching the world go by.

Ornos looks nice I was thinking but I would really like your thoughts on if this resort would be right for me and indeed if Mykonos is?

Ps I re watched Shirley Valentine the other night and that reminded me that I've always wanted to visit!!

Thanks,

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

LOTS of people visit Mykonos on solo trips -- I travelled there by myself in 2012 -- so you definitely won't stand out like a sore thumb.

And for what you say you're looking to find -- " I love reading by the pool/beach and enjoy a bit of exploring with some shopping thrown in for good measure! And I love the traditional Greek tavernas and watching the world go by" -- Mykonos would be perfect.

Ornos is a good beach location ... it's one of the top "family friendly" beaches so you're not going to encounter a raucous party scene there with guys spraying bottles of champagne over girls in bikinis (as you would find at Paradise beach) or loud music blasting from dusk til dawn. Good bus connections to Mykonos Town and you can catch a shuttle boat from there to several other beaches. And Agios Ioannis (the Shirley Valentine beach) is less than a half-hour walk away.

I say go for it ... you'll have a great time!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

There won't be all that many families while schools are still in session. Wherever I go in Greece I am always welcomed as a solo traveller, and have never felt conspicuous.

>From the research I have done it seems that Mykonos has a lot of people passing through including backpackers and I just get a feeling that nobody would give a flying wotsit about a person on their own.<

That statement describes just about any Greek island. :)

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

Hi Rockgirl! Maybe you have firmed up your plans by now and I hope it does include Mykonos! I am around your age and I went solo to Mykonos last summer. Had a wonderful time. It was actually the end of a 25 day solo trip that also included Spain and Crete. Out of everywhere that I was, Mykonos was actually the most bustling with people and I could blend in the most! It seems people from all over the world converge there! I met so many interesting people. Other solo travelers as well. Have fun!

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

I've been to Mykonos alone a few times...and I can say that you will only be alone at the beginning. The people are wonderful and I've made friends that I look forward to seeing on return visits. The people are lovely, kind and generous. For me, it is a magical place. I don't drink or party either, and treasure my time there, enjoying people watching, the sunsets, the food, and wandering the town. Go and enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

Guys thank you all so much for your helpful responses and I love that you have all been there solo but still had a whale of a time. I am still planning to go to Mykonos at some point. However for this year my plans suddenly changed.....a friend asked me to go away with her and I am now all booked up to go to Zante in July which I am very excited about as I have never visited before.

Mykonos remains on my list of islands to visit so perhaps next year......!

Thanks again all.

6. Re: Solo female thinking about Mykonos!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 29, 2015