My friends and I need to get from Mykonos to Santorini on August 30th 2014 ( Saturday ) as we are booked for 2 nights on Santorini and flying off from Santorini to Naples on September 1st 2014 ( Monday ).
We hope to travel to Santorini by ferry so that we will be able to get a good view of the caldera as we are coming into port from the open deck of the ferry.
The options we have, as I see it:
1st option: Mykonos - Paros - Santorini
- Mykonos to Paros ( Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat4: Dep 1015hrs, arrive 1050hrs ) OR
( Seajets Superjet : Dep 0940hrs, arrive 1020hrs )
Paros to Santorini ( Blue Star ferry Delos: Dep 1145hrs, arrive 1450hrs )
2nd option: Mykonos - Santorini via NEL ferry Aqua Spirit ( dep 1040hrs, arrive 1950hrs )
I would prefer the 1st option as it involves less travelling time on the ferry/ catamaran and we get into Santorini 5 hours earlier than the NEL ferry. However I am concerned about the narrow margin of time we have in between this 2 connections. From reviews I have read about the high speed connection between Mykonos to Paros, I am concerned about:
- the possibility of the journey being delayed or worse cancelled. In which case we would miss the Blue Star ferry from Paros to Santorini at 1145hrs. Is this a very likely possibility at the time of the year? Between Seajets' Superjet vessel and Hellenic seaways' Flyingcat4 vessel, which do you think is a better bet in terms of arriving on time and lesser risk of developing seasickness? Seajets schedule shows an earlier arrival into Paros but if they are prone to delays, we might as well take theFlyingcat4 instead.
If the smaller morning boats from Mykonos to Paros ( ie the Superjet or the FC4 ) are cancelled due to bad weather, our next option would be to take the bigger afternoon high speed boats direct from Mykonos to Santorini, foregoing the views but at least ensuring we get to Santorini in time:
- Seajets' Megajet (Dep Mykonos 1350 arrive Santorini 1645) OR
- Hellenic Seaways' Highspeed 5 ( Dep Mykonos 1455 arrive Santorini 1735 )
Are these boats likely to be cancelled as well if the weather is bad?
Or are we better off just getting on the 10am NEL ferry instead to avoid any uncertainty with regards to the weather?
Would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you very much!