We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Hi all!

My friends and I need to get from Mykonos to Santorini on August 30th 2014 ( Saturday ) as we are booked for 2 nights on Santorini and flying off from Santorini to Naples on September 1st 2014 ( Monday ).

We hope to travel to Santorini by ferry so that we will be able to get a good view of the caldera as we are coming into port from the open deck of the ferry.

The options we have, as I see it:

1st option: Mykonos - Paros - Santorini

- Mykonos to Paros ( Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat4: Dep 1015hrs, arrive 1050hrs ) OR

( Seajets Superjet : Dep 0940hrs, arrive 1020hrs )

THEN

Paros to Santorini ( Blue Star ferry Delos: Dep 1145hrs, arrive 1450hrs )

2nd option: Mykonos - Santorini via NEL ferry Aqua Spirit ( dep 1040hrs, arrive 1950hrs )

I would prefer the 1st option as it involves less travelling time on the ferry/ catamaran and we get into Santorini 5 hours earlier than the NEL ferry. However I am concerned about the narrow margin of time we have in between this 2 connections. From reviews I have read about the high speed connection between Mykonos to Paros, I am concerned about:

- the possibility of the journey being delayed or worse cancelled. In which case we would miss the Blue Star ferry from Paros to Santorini at 1145hrs. Is this a very likely possibility at the time of the year? Between Seajets' Superjet vessel and Hellenic seaways' Flyingcat4 vessel, which do you think is a better bet in terms of arriving on time and lesser risk of developing seasickness? Seajets schedule shows an earlier arrival into Paros but if they are prone to delays, we might as well take theFlyingcat4 instead.

If the smaller morning boats from Mykonos to Paros ( ie the Superjet or the FC4 ) are cancelled due to bad weather, our next option would be to take the bigger afternoon high speed boats direct from Mykonos to Santorini, foregoing the views but at least ensuring we get to Santorini in time:

- Seajets' Megajet (Dep Mykonos 1350 arrive Santorini 1645) OR

- Hellenic Seaways' Highspeed 5 ( Dep Mykonos 1455 arrive Santorini 1735 )

Are these boats likely to be cancelled as well if the weather is bad?

Or are we better off just getting on the 10am NEL ferry instead to avoid any uncertainty with regards to the weather?

Would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you very much!

Sharon

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

There are too many ifs in all this, how about leaving the decision until you get to Mykonos and see what the weather is like then? With so many ferries to Santorini, I do not think you need to book, or you may book just the Superjet or FC4, and buy the tickets for the Blue Star on the day - any ticket agent in Mykonos should be able to tell you in the morning whether your connection will work or not. And if not - you can transfer your tickets to a later departure.The Superjet and FC4 are similar size (both are cancelled in rough seas) and start in Rafina early in the morning (any delays will be comparable). An hour is perfectly enough to change ferries at Paros.

NEL is apparently staving off bankruptcy so counting on NEL may involve even more uncertainty than trying to predict the weather. But if it is running on the day, and you like a bit of a cruise, why not? You certainly do not need to pre-book NEL.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

I agree with Ozzlem to wait until you get to Mykonos to make your final decision.

Both Superjet and FlyingCat 4 start their day at Rafina on Aug 30th, and stop only at Tinos before reaching Mykonos. That makes it less likely they will be running late. If there is a cancellation it will be easy to go back to the agent you bought the tickets from for a refund, then buy tickets for another ferry later that day. There will probably be more people getting off the ferry than boarding at Tinos and Mykonos, so seat availability shouldn't be a problem.

As a matter of interest, generally the larger the ferry the less likely for a weather cancelation, and the smoother it sails in rough seas. These are the lengths of the ferries you asked about:

Sea Jets Superjet & SeaJet 2: 42 meters

Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat 4: 55 meters

Sea Jets Megajet: 77 meters

Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 5: 85 meters

Aqua Spirit: 75 meters

Blue Star Delos: 145 meters

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Thanks for the advice, Ozzlem and Heimdall!

I admit I feel a little bit uneasy buying the tickets only upon arrival in Mykonos since our itinerary is pretty rigid and I hate having to worry about unconfirmed transport arrangements while on holiday. However if there isn't a shortage of seats as Heimdall mentioned, then I am somewhat reassured. And I suppose there is really no point in buying tickets early, only for the trip to be cancelled due to bad weather and having to face the same dilemma anyway.

I feel inclined to take Ozzlem's advice and book the early morning FC4 to Paros, and buying the Blue Star Connection from Paros to Santorini on the day itself if the weather looks good. Ozzlem, when u mention that any ticket agent in Mykonos can help check if the connection is feasible that day, do you mean any ticket agent in Mykonos town itself or must I go to the port? Will be staying in Lefteris Hotel. Also, will we be able to change/ purchase tickets at any ticket agent or at a Hellenic Seaways ofiice?

Truly appreciate your help and sorry for the many questions!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

If you book online you must go to one of the central agents listed on the ferry company's website but any agent should be able to tell you whether the ferries you;ve chosen will run as they all start elsewhere (Athens sea ports, or Syros-NEL)

Ah, something else - you have more options on 30th August - large conventional open-deck ferries if the high-speed ones won't run. No pre-booking necessary, you may decide later.

Mykonos ->Ios 11:10-15:00 (Blue Star Ithaki)

and

Ios -> Santorini 16:40-18:10 (Adamantios Korais, directly to Santorini) or Ios->Santorini 16:00-19:50 (NEL Aqua Spirit - the same as from Mykonos, stops at Sikinos, Folegandros and Thirassia before reaching Santorini)

Edited: 4:01 am, April 13, 2014
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Hi Ozzlem, thanks for the suggested alternative!

At least, we won't be subject to the vagaries of weather. May I know which ferry company the Adamantios Korais belong to? I checked Cyclades Ferries but the website seems to have a bug. We can buy the ticket for the Adamantios Korais when we arrive in Ios? The docks for the Blue Star and the Adamantios are nearby?

Thank you for your help!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

http://www.cycladesferries.gr/?lang=en

Yes, you can buy tickets in Ios. Ios port is small, all ferries dock in the same place.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Hi,

This is peak season, your option 1 does have some risks as regards connection. So does connecting on Ios. Merely because 2 ferries are involved, very small but it's there.

I have taken these early morning Mykonos > Paros catamarans and in the past can easily be 90 mins late, I auto-add that amount of time. This was the Seajet 2 at the time but the Flyingcat 4 is running that similar route now.

The direct large catamarans have the least risk, and are also the best from a seasickness point of view.

That makes it the 09:55 Masterjet, 13:50 Megajet or 14:55 Highspeed 5.

Your overly tight schedule to a flight departure island limits options.

It is still hi-season thus the possibility of a full ferry is there. Thus purchasing tickets on the day is an increased risk.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

The risk of ferries being full on the last weekend of August is primarily for those returning from the islands to Piraeus and Rafina. That is because many families are returning home that weekend at the end of their August holidays. The ferries from Mykonos to Santorini are heading away from the mainland, a direction fewer people will be travelling. Still, now that doubt has been planted in your mind...

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

One thought I have had that no-one else has mentioned is that at the end of August if the NEL Lines' Aqua Spirit is late at all it is going to be coming dark by the time it reaches Santorini. If it is on time, though, I think it is the best time to enter the Caldera as the sun is setting. I was on this ferry last year from Folegandros to Anafi (via Santorini) and it left Folegandros a minute early according to my watch (!) so we got some marvellous colours of the setting sun shining on Santorini.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

I would go with Ozzlem's suggestion of Blue Star Ithaki and Adamantios Korais. Blue Star Ferries tend to run to time better than others, so if it does happen to be late I would expect Adamantios Korais to be even later. At Ios there is only one dock for large ferries, so if Blue Star Ithaki is late then Admantios Korais will have to wait for it leaving before docking itself.