We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

Hi

I've had a look through previous posts in regards to some of these questions but was hoping to get some up to date information for a planned trip next year.

I've been given the opportunity to travel next year (early May) to Mykonos and have some queries before I book. Firstly, I know that the island won't be 'in full swing' at this time but I wondered whether there would be enough open and happening without it feeling too quiet? I have visited Santorini at this time of year and loved it and wondered whether Mykonos would have the same feel? I know that the 'clubby' side of Mykonos won't be at it's peak but that's not what I'm going for, I just want to experience the island itself (however an odd night out would be quite nice!!)

I would also like to visit some of the other nearby islands such as Tinos possibly Paros etc.. and wondered whether anyone had been on trips to these islands at this time of year? I have looked at the ferry websites but haven't really been able to see whether seajets etc,, are in operation this early in May? I know that the ferry companies release their schedules quite late but wondered whether they had been operating this year, at this time?

Also, I am torn between staying in Mykonos town or somewhere like Ornos? I will hire a car so getting around will be easy but can't decide whether I want to stay in the town so am in walking distance when I want to go into town or whether I would get a 'nicer' feel for the island if I stay outside? Any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

The island won't be too quiet in early May. Many places (hotels, shops and restaurants) will still be in the process of preparing for the summer season, so each day you will probably see something new that wasn't open a day or two earlier. But there will be plenty of places open already, including far more restaurants than you could possibly visit even if you were staying a couple of weeks. The island will be lively, but not crowded, and there will be a very relaxed, laid-back atmosphere with locals eagerly anticipating a new travel season.

The "clubby" side of Mykonos definitely won't be at its peak. In fact, it will not even have started. While bars will be open in Mykonos Town and at some beaches, the clubs that give the island a name for wild nightlife won't open until June or later.

Beach areas will be quieter than Mykonos Town but are still a nice place to stay in early May. Although Ornos is walking distance, it's a very long walk and is something you might want to do once, to see what it's like, but probably isn't something you'd want to do more than that. Good thing you're planning to rent a vehicle, though, since bus service to Ornos and other beach areas in early May is very limited. (This year, in mid May, the last bus from Town to Ornos was at 8.30 pm.)

You will be able to take a day trip to Tinos. There is an older ferry (not a highspeed catamaran like the SeaJet) that makes daily return trips, so you would be able to depart Mykonos in the morning and return around 10 pm at night. Can't recall the name, but it has run this route for years and operates from the New Port at Tourlos.

You also will be able to take a ferry to Paros, but I can't say if you can swing a daytrip given the limited ferry service in early May.

The biggest drawback to visiting Mykonos in May lately is the weather. May has been our preferred month to visit the island, and used to give us sunny warm weather. Since 2010, the weather has been all over the map, with a mix of wind, clouds, rain, thunderstorms and some sunshine thrown in here and there.

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

Hi

Thank you for your reply. The information you have given me is really useful. I think I will probably go for Mykonos town and then visit the beach resorts during the day. I'm glad that there will be enough open and like I mentioned, if it is anything like Santorini was in May, I'm sure I'll love it!!

I'm so pleased to hear there is a day trip available to Tinos in May. I would have been really disappointed if I hadn't have been able to get there. Does anyone happen to know who this boat/tour is operated by so I can look into it? Also, how long will the ferry take compared to the catamarans?

In regards to the weather, it does worry me slightly as I had noticed a change this year in Santorini in May but unfortunately, I think this is the only time that we will be able to visit.

Thanks once again for your help.

Any other thoughts would be great!!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

Donny was referring to a regular ferry, not a tour. You can check for yourself my going to http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/index.html , and backtracking the calendar to May 2013. Start with May 1st, then click on "Next Day" to progress through the month. You will have to check both Mykonos > Tinos and Tinos > Mykonos to see what is possible in a day. Obviously there is no guarantee that next year's timetables will be the same, but should be similar.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

The company that provides the morning services from Mykonos to Rafina (via Tinos) is Cyclades Fast Ferries. They now have two boats, Theologos P and Ekaterini P - the former usually does the morning service. You can expect one of the two to be running at least 5 mornings a week at about 7.30 am - at weekends the departure is sometimes not until noon. The return from Tinos to Mykonos is usually at about 9.30pm.

The Seajet service to Paros didn't start until the end of May this year, although it had been scheduled to start earlier. I don't known whether the late start was due to technical problems of a lack of demand.

Tinos
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

I suggest you to visit and Tinos!!

From Mykonos in Tinos go many ships one in the morning (Theologos P) and the others in the noon, Ekaterini P (12:45) Penelope A (13:15) Superferry II (13:45) and Blue Star Naxos (14:15) and of course the highspeed boats Superjet and Flyingcat 4. If you want to travel in Tinos in the afternoon take the Flyingcat 4 from the old port at 20:00. But I suggest you to a pasenger ship. If you want to go to Paros you can take Flyingcat 4 and Superjet in the morning and Highspeed 5 in the noon anduntil 15/9 you can take the passenger ship Blue Star Ithaki in the morning.

6. Re: Mykonos 2014. Shall I??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 24, 2014