We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message for Annie1128

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Message for Annie1128

Greetings from sunny Mykonos! Finally managed to get onto one of the two free Internet computers in the Petasos lobby and wanted to post a quick msg for you.

The hotel is nice and we are enjoying it, now in our third day. We think it's on par with, or perhaps a bit nicer, than the Ambassador. The first room we were assigned was a standard sea view room, but was one of the older rooms ... best thing about it was the view, which was mainly sea but also part of Psarou Bay. It had a small terrace with table and chairs, but the room itself was a disappointment so we requested a renovated room and the hotel was able to move us within an hour of checking in. The renovated room we are in does not have a sea view, but we like the view we do have of Platis Gialos and the surrounding hillsides ....we know we are in Mykonos when we look out the window or walk onto our terrace (which is great .... table and two chairs PLUS two recliner chairs ... so we can sunbathe on the terrace rather than next to the pool).

Our renovated room is bright and cheery but does have its downsides. It has a big bathtub in the middle of the room right next to the bed; it's rather awkward there and we find ourselves constantly banging into it and finding it in the way. The sink is nearby; the toilet and shower are in a separate little room which is VERY compact, and the very, very tight shower is annoying. Apart from the shower and the tub, the room is fine. We have seen other rooms nearby, and spoken to others in the hotel; none of their rooms has a tub in the middle of it. They instead have a large sink and cabinet section inside the bedroom area, with a bathroom that has a shower inside the tub .... so they aren't squished, like we are, when showering. One couple we spoke to today seem to have been given a special suite for their honeymoon; they described it as very large and private and it has a sofa/sitting area in it as well as everything else that all the other rooms have.

The hotel staff are great; very personable and pleasant and accommodating (as they were with our request to change rooms). Food is typical for a hotel ... breaksfast selection is OK but nothing to rave about. We had dinner at the hotel last night for their Greek BBQ special and the food was good and the entertainment fun, for 20 Euros per person. Haven't yet dined at N'Ammos but did eat at the taverna Chaywest recommended in a message several weeks ago: "Atlantida" at the hotel Acrogiali. It was good, though the kitchen goes heavy on the salt. The grilled calamari was excellent. A LOT of people at the hotel have dined there, in some cases several times, and the overwhelming response has been favourable: everyone enjoys the meal. Have been past Chez Katrin but have not seen it open yet .... in fact, we are almost too early this year. A lot of shops, restaurants and bars aren't open yet .... staff are still gearing up to open soon (the Scandinavian bar, for instance, doesn't open until Friday night). This is the quietest I have ever seen Mykonos, but it has its advantages ... no lineups at restaurants and you can walk around without jostling hundreds of other people's shoulders!

Weather has been good. Mornings start off cool and cloudy but then the skies clear and the temp gets warm, but not too hot. It's just right for a lot of walking around/hiking etc. Had a great trip to Delos today ... weather was perfect both for the boatride over and the guided tours around the ruins. Haven't yet attempted to get into the sea for a swim but have seen quite a few people racing in for very quick dips .... the water is quite chilly still.

Overall, after just a few days into our holiday, I can say we are having our usual great time on Mykonos and are happy to be back .... it's great to be here. People are friendly as usual, and the atmosphere is nice and laid back.

I've been sharing your recommendations for your favourite restaurants with a LOT of people and hope to run into them to find out what they thought of the various tavernas and restaurants. Will try to get back on here and update things further as the holiday progresses .... if i can manage to get time on one of these busy computers. No matter what time of day you come to the lobby, there always seems to be someone on each of the two free computers and at least a couple of people eagerly waiting to get online!

By the way, bus service right now is stilll limited. SErvice to/from Platis Gialos/Town ends at 10 pm for the time being. Fare is Euro 1.10 and tickets must be purchased in advance from mini markets -- no more buying tickets right from the bus driver. There are no excursions to Delos from the dock at this beach -- Yet. And nobody knows just when they will resume, so those trips have to be taken at the main harbour. Hotel staff think there will be more buses added soon, plus boat excursions from the nearby docks, but that might not happen until the end of May/beginning of June. I asked about bicycle / mountain bike rentals ... apparently there no longer is a bike rental place on this island.

Can't think of anything to add at this time but will try to get on here again soon with more info.

Cheers, Don

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Message for Annie1128

I think you have found your retirement plan!!! A bike shop on Mykonos!

It always makes me sad when I am leaving Mykonos. I never feel like I overstay my welcome there. But it seems like you are ready to move on to Naxos!! I am so happy to hear the weather is cooperating!!!

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Message for Annie1128

Hi Annie,

I am heading to Mykonos in the first week of June and staying at the Princess of Mykonos. Any recommendations for any daytime and nighttime activities. The restaurant recommendations you have posted in this thread seem great.

- Thanks

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Message for Annie1128

Oh thanks Rude!

You should set aside a day trip to Delos, there are boats that leave from Platis Yialos beach starting at 8am and run about every hour. It's a half day excursion and you can be back by 1pm. Its certainly a "must see" when in mykonos. There is really not much else to do during the day except hang out on the beach (you can spend a good day hopping around to differnt beaches), walk around Town or be lazy and sip frappe at the port! Not much in terms of sightseeing on Mykonos.

Nightime is a different story!! Well...you should start with a sunset cocktail in Little Venice at Caprice or one of the many other spots along the water there. Then after dining at one of the fabulous restuarants you can hit a few bars and lounges. There is one to suit your every mood (and some you didn't know you had until you got to Mykonos). My favorites are Astra, Caprice, Bar Uno, Celebrities and if I am feeling particularly crazy and immature I pop into Skandanavian Bar (which also has a disco upstairs) and hang out with some old friends! Still with me? If you then feel like you just can't go back to your hotel just yet...there are a couple of clubs to hit. El Pecado being my personal favorite and Space coming in second. Wait...I'm not done yet...there is always after-hours until after the sun comes up at Cavo Paradiso.

I think that about covers it!! :):):) Have a GREAT time!!

14. Re: Message for Annie1128

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos