We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The 'Mykonos' Scene?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
The 'Mykonos' Scene?

hey guys

A couple of friends and I are looking to visit Mykonos in June and I'm wondering if anyone clarify a couple of things for me.

1. Is there a good mix of bars and pubs compared to the dance/techno nightclubs I'm hearing a lot about?

2. We're after 3 nights/4 days of beach, sun and exploring of the island. Is there enough to do?

3. What's the food like? I'm bit on Mediterranean dishes.

4. How far is the closest beach to Mykonos town?

This comes off the back of Barcelona, San Sebastian and Capri in the last two years, so we want to make sure we visit the right place. Mykonos looks beautiful.

$ is not a problem. We're not big on dance clubs, just busy bars and pubs similar to Barca.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

Here's some answers;

(1) Yes

(2) Yes

(3) You can get just about any kind of food you would want on Mykonos -- Greek, Italian, Mediterranean, sushi, Thai, fusion, steak ... the list goes on. There is something for everybody. There is a huge array of restaurants at all price points, from cheap gyros and souvlaki to high-end international cuisine.

(4) the closest beach is Megali Ammos, which is a very short walk (5 to 10 minutes) from the Fabrica bus depot (Fabrica is where you can catch local buses to several of the island's major beaches). In my opinion, Megali Ammos is only a mediocre beach by Mykonos standards, but it's convenient for cruise ship visitors or other people who don't have much time on the island and want a quick beach visit before or after exploring Mykonos town.

I have posted hundreds of photos of Mykonos and many of its beaches on my Flickr page. They are in a collection entitled "Mykonos Greece 2012" at the following link: www.flickr.com/photos/mygreecetravelblog/ The beach photos in particular will let you compare Mykonos to the other places you've enjoyed. Keep in mind that my photos don't show crowds of people on the beaches because they were shot in May, which is still low season. They will be much, much busier in June.

Further information about Mykonos restaurants is available at this link from the "Top Questions About Mykonos" box at the top right corner of this page:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189430-i401-k5465…

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

thanks mate, very informative!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

One more thing, what time are the bars open till usually, midnight or 3am? Is there any interference with the police?

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

Bars are open until 4 or 5 in the morning. The late bars are on the seafront away from residential areas, so no real trouble. If you can, get into the bar above taxi square after midnight. You will need to suck up to the doorman to avoid paying the tourist entry fee, but this is where all the local bar staff go after the other bars shut. It is amazing!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

That bar, Argo, has been closed for 2 years.

6. Re: The 'Mykonos' Scene?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 01, 2014