We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Residence

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
La Residence

Hi all

I've just been informed by my brother he has booked us a holiday at la residence at kalafatis.

I know this is a posh hotel and am slightly worried as we will not have bags of spending money. I'm happy to get round the island by bus but has anyone recently stayed in this hotel and can they tell me what we can do on an evening? Is there any entertainment? Is the bar expensive? I'm aware that kalafatis is quite isolated but the buses should be running by the end of may when we go.

Any advice welcome.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Residence

Can't offer specific answers because I haven't stayed at La Residence myself, but can tell you that I don't recall anyone describing it as expensive in the reviews here on TA. I also haven't seen any mention of entertainment at the hotel. Hopefully someone who has stayed there will see your post and respond with first-hand information.

I think a bigger concern for you may be the bus service because there is no guarantee buses will even be running to Kalafatis. In late May service to isolated beaches like Kalafatis and Elia is very limited -- typically just a couple of return trips per day -- since it's still low travel season. And the bus times aren't particularly convenient, especially if you want to go into Mykonos Town for dinner and nightlife.

In late May 2011, for instance, there were only three return buses to Kalafatis per day, and the last one back to the beach departed Mykonos Town at 17:25. That meant your only option to get back to Kalafatis after an evening or a night on the town would be by taxi (the taxis on Mykonos have meters, but some reviewers have said their cab rides cost approx. €20 each way).

In May 2012 no buses were running to Kalafatis at all while I was on the island (and there were only two return trips to Elia per day, leaving Town for the beach at noon and 4 pm and returning to Town about half an hour later -- again, not convenient for people staying in the area who wanted to go into Town at night. If service to Kalafatis was added by month's end after I left the island, I doubt it was any more than two return trips a day as for Elia.)

Low season also means means that your dining options in the hotel's immediate area -- as an alternative to travelling into Mykonos Town at night -- will be limited, too. Some reviews say there are several tavernas within reasonable walking distance of La Residence, but others say there are just one or two open in lower season. In May, many businesses on Mykonos are still getting prepared to open for the season, so it's highly likely not all the tavernas near La Residence will yet be open. (If Aneplora restaurant is open, try to get there. I've heard great comments about it from locals and read good reviews online; it serves Greek cuisine, seafood and pasta. It's on the right side of the main road that leads down the hill to Kalafatis beach. Website: http://www.wiw.gr/english/kalafati_aneplora/ ) Another restaurant that has been recommended in the forums in Petrino Aquarius, which serves home-cooked Greek cuisine. I have no idea if they're open in late May.

We stayed at Elia beach at the end of May/beginning of June 7 years ago, and found the biggest drawbacks to the location were the inconvenience of getting to and from Town, especially at night, and the lack of dining options in the area. I have since recommended staying at isolated beaches only to people planning to rent wheels while they're on Mykonos -- especially in low season. Mykonos has hundreds of places to dine and it would be a shame to be stuck eating in a hotel restaurant throughout a holiday.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Residence

Thanks for the info Donny, we're half board so will be eating in the hotel at night anyway. I get the feeling we'll be spending our days getting the bus to town having lunch and a wander then back to watch tv in the room! Which although I sound ungrateful is not my type of holiday even if it's free. I prefer some entertainment on an evening and being able to wander the shops/bars that are open on an evening after dinner.

3. Re: La Residence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 19, 2014