We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Barnsley UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

We are thinking of doing an island hopping trip over about 17 days in June 2013. We will fly into Mykonos (where we have been before) and stay a few days. We are thinking of then going to Paros and/or Naxos. Is it worth staying in both or doing a day trip from one to the other? How do the ferries work from mykonos to Paros and Naxos? We then intend catching a ferry on to Crete for a few days before we fly home. How do the ferries work to Crete and how long a journey from, say, Paros? Is it worth calling anywhere else around this area?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

From Naxos you have a daily Blue Star ferry at 09:30 to Paros, and a return at 22:00 or 22:50 (every second day). Ferry ride is about one hour. IMO you will not get much of a feeling of an island if you just stay for a few hours, but it is doable. The opposite direction isn't that easy.

In summer season there usually is a high-speed ferry operating between Heraklion (Crete), and Mykonos. It is calling in at Santorini, Ios Naxos and/or Paros. Schedules have changed a bit from year to year, so you wont know until next years schedules are released in april/may.

All islands in the area is worth calling at, but hardly for less than 3 nights. If you want to see a little bit of Crete, you should spend at least a week there.

Barnsley UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Many thanks. We have had a week in Crete before at Chania. We thought we would try a week near Hearaklion at the opposite end of the island. We like old traditional Greek ports so any suugestions on where to base ourselves?

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

I wouldn't combine the Cyclades with Crete in the same trip unless you're arriving from the other side of the world on a once in a lifetime trip. You will almost certainly have to use a catamaran from Paros or Naxos to Heraklion. It is a long journey (3.5 hours if it is on time), you could have a very rough journey if it is windy and the catamaran may even be cancelled. I once came across people stuck on Mykonos trying to get to Crete and they had been stuck 3 days.

Assuming you still want to go ahead with this and you have 10 days to cover Mykonos, Paros and Naxos I think you have time to stay on all three. Getting a catamaran to Heraklion is probably best done from Paros rather than Naxos, so if you are doing this go to Naxos and then Paros.

The alternative is that you may be able to get the Prevelis from Santorini to Heraklion and use a Blue Star ferry from Paros/Naxos to Santorini to connect with it. However, the Prevelis only does that route once a week at an awkward time during Saturday night. If you are going that way, I would go to Paros first and then Naxos to save backtracking.

Barnsley UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Thanks for your advice. At the moment we have only booked a flight to Mykonos which arrives on the 29/6/13 at 13.15 hours. We wish to spend around18 days visiting a minimum of Paros and Naxos as well as Mykonos. Would we be able to catch a ferry to Paros or Naxos the same day we arrive in Mykonos? We could then have around 5 days each in Paros and Naxos and spend the last few days back in Mykonos where we could get a flight back to the Uk from.How would this work with ferries? We can visit the islands in any order.This would mean not doing Crete. If we want to do Crete could we catch a ferry to Santorini and then fly on Sky Express to Crete? Any advice appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

It is quite likely that you will be able to reach either Paros or Naxos on the same day that you arrive in Mykonos. You won' tknow for sure until the schedules come out for next summer which will probably be about next April. In June there will be plenty of accommodation available so it won't be necessary to book accommodation before then. You are doing the right thing by leaving your stay on Mykonos to the end so that you are on the island that you are flying home from.

I don't know anything about Sky Express but if they have flights from Santorini to Crete then you could go that way. You could get a ferry from Paros or Naxos to Santorini, but unless the flight was after about 5.00 p.m. you would have to spend a night on Santorini.

Barnsley UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

If we ignore Crete should we go to Naxos or Paros first before returning to Mykonos or does it not make any difference with the ferry routes? Thanks again.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Do Naxos first, then Paros (Paros has transport options for Mykonos).

SkyExpress winter schedule is the only overview currently available. I doubt that you will find any flights between Santorinio and Crete, though.

skyexpress.gr/en-us/…scheduledflights.aspx

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Sky Express' route between Santorini and Crete was taken over by Minoan Air this year. They were flying this route only until end of September so their site won't show any flights either.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

It doesn't really make a lot of difference whether you go to Paros or Naxos first. If you want to get to one of them the same day that you arrive in Mykonos, which is what I would do, it depends on which one you can get to, although it is likely that you could get to either of them.

I prefer to use traditional ferries rather than catamarans where possible because they are cheaper, you can sit outside and they are more stable if it's windy. There never are any traditional ferries between Mykonos and Paros so you have to use a catamaran. Between Paros and Naxos (or vice versa) there are traditional ferries every day. Between Naxos and Mykonos there are usually catamarans but also on some days of the week the Superferry II does that connection. So when the scheules for next June are available I would try to plan the itinerary to use it if possible.

Edited: 8:05 am, November 18, 2012
Essex
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mykonos, Paros and Naxos

Greecemad, I'm afraid for once you are wrong. From the beginning of July to the first week in September there are usually traditional ferries between Paros and Mykonos about 3 times a week - the NEL Syros-based ferries (currently Aqua Jewel and Aqua Spirit) add Mykonos stops to some of their services.