We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Mykonos - help!

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to Mykonos - help!

My friend and I will be in Mykonos for 5 nights this August. We're in our early 30's and we're guys, I'm married and my friend is single. Is 5 nights too long? My friend, he will want to party and mingle. What area should we stay in? I hear a lot of gay people go to Mykonos, where should we stay as we want to avoid them? Please don't take it the wrong way as I have nothing against gay people, we just don't want to end up being surrounded by them (if you know what I mean).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

If you don't want to be "surrounded" by gays, stay out of the gay bars. Simple as that.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

What do you do in New York? It is more difficult to avoid gays in New York than Mykonos!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

I have nothing against gay people, we just don't want to end up being surrounded by them (if you know what I mean).

=============================================

No I don't know what you mean. Please explain.

London, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

I'm guessing you mean that you don't want to be surrounded by overtly camp, drag queen types in pick up joints - right? well, I've been to Mykonos on many occasions and it's easy to find bars in Town that have a healthy mix of all types.

Difficult to say how many days iwould be enough, it depends on how much time you have and where you plan to go next!

If you want a serious party island I understand Ios is the place to be.

Edited: 8:05 am, July 05, 2012
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

Mikecab, your post is offensive and should be removed!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

How is his post offensive? He's simply asking a question.. You are the ridiculous one..I also want to goto Mykonos and want to avoid te gay bars.. am I so baaaad for that..they are gay bars for a reason..geez..

7. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:51 am, July 25, 2012
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

am i the only person on here that finds it shocking that TA deletes replies left right and centre, yet blatant homophobia like this has not been deleted?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

Yeah I agree with you. I'm not impressed with the posting at all... Why ask in such a way and if these guys are that frightened of other human beings well maybe they shouldn't travel. Mykonos is a great place for everyone and is generally very open and tolerant.I'm sure you guys wont get surrounded by lots of gay men or women unless that is what you really want.But its quite possible that you might find gay people in your hotel, or at the next table in a restaurant, or on the bus. This is Europe and many of us don't particularly like these sort of attitudes or comments.

Vevey, Switzerland
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Mykonos - help!

I just come back from Mykonos and I can't tell you that there are no more gays than anywhere else. Unless you go to gays beaches or gay bars.

And it's not because you're two men travelling that they will try to date with you.

If you want to avoid gays, stay where you are, in your house, so you won't have a chance to meet any.