We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quieter Mykonos?!

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Quieter Mykonos?!

I'm just wondering if there is somewhere on Mykonos that is not as noisy/cluby as other parts. I'm thinking of Mykonos for my husband and my 16 year old daughter and friend. I don't mind them going to a quieter kind of bar but I don't necessarily want to make it easy for her to go to clubs (I worry about drugs... should I be?).

My husband and I enjoy a nice, interesting bar but not a place full of 20 year olds. We're wondering where might be a good place on Mykonos that will give nice beaches, good restaurants and nice bars.

I would really appreciate some advise.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

You don't say when you're planning to travel ... that's important, because during peak season (July and especially August) Mykonos will be very busy and when the island is packed there's going to be a lot more noise (traffic and otherwise) than during other times of summer.

Contrary to what many people think, Mykonos is not wall-to-wall nightclubs with dance music blaring 24/7. There are dozens of bars and clubs scattered throughout Mykonos Town, but most people wouldn't even see or hear them unless they wander through the Town very late in the evening and especially after midnight.

Paradise is the main party beach, with two massive clubs, so you'll want to avoid that beach.

Platis Gialos and Ornos are two "family beaches" that are lined with restaurants and a few bars but won't have the wild party scene that you would find at Paradise (and, to a lesser extent, Super Paradise, Paraga and Elia) during peak season. Agios Ioannis has fewer dining and bar options and is one of the quieter major beaches. Agios Stefanos is another "family" oriented beach area.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

Donnyb gives a very good description of Mykonos, and I agree that "quieter" is a time, not a place, on the island. If you are going during the school holidays it will be busy, but the club scene on most Greek islands begins very late. Unless you are willing to let your 16 y.o. and her friend wander around on their own after midnight they won't encounter much.

I can't help but think that what you are looking for sounds like a different island. Have you thought of Naxos, for example? :o)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

Thanks Donnyb that REALLY helps. Unfortunately it is August when we're going so I realise I'm going to have to endure the party scene. At least these suggestions will give me a head start!! Do you know of any REALLY nice hotels/villas around Platis Gialos or Ornos? I'll start looking this morning. Geez what a chore this has been!!

Yes Heimdall I would love to go to another island to be honest but our plans have had to change. We are going from Athens to Naxos and then were SUPPOSED to go to Crete from there but where I thought there were flights there aren't and the boat only goes on Sundays, which wouldn't work with our timelines. Any suggestions of a good island from Naxos?

Thank you both for the time you've taken to reply :-)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

Actually you haven't been looking at all the ferry timetables. It's fairly easy to get from Naxos to Crete any day of the week by making a connection via another island. One way would be to take Blue Star to Santorini and connect there with either Hellenic Seaways' FlyingCat 4 or Sea Jets' Megajet. You can also connect with Flying Cat 4 at Paros and go all the way from there to Crete. Both FlyingCat 4 and Megajet have no-sail days, but between the two you should be able to get to Crete any day of the week.

Personally if I were travelling in August I would just spend the whole time on one island. If for you, that means Mykonos, you will have to get busy finding vacancies. :o)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

Unless you're out in Town late into the night, on Mykonos you'll be enduring more of a crowd scene than party scene in August. It's the sheer volume of people on the island at that time of summer that is the reason I won't go near the place then.

Here's some hotel suggestions.

Platis Gialos: Petasos Beach resort & spa: http://www.petasos.gr/

Myconian Ambassador: myconianambassador.gr/en/the-myconian-ambass…

I have stayed at both. The Ambassador is built against a hill so its rooms offer tremendous views of the beach, as well as Platis Gialos and Psarou Bays. The hotel is a 5-minute walk from the main beach strip, so it's a quieter alternative to the Petasos which is right next to the main road that runs between Mykonos Town and Platis Gialos. The Petasos is a great hotel (sister hotel to the Mykonos Grand at Agios Ioannis), but if you book there be sure to specify you would like a sea view room since there are some rooms with exposure to the main road, which would mean you would experience street & traffic noise from the rooms' terraces.

Two other options in the area include the Argo Hotel, which is just a stone's throw up the road from the Petasos, and the Palladium, a few minutes' walk up the road.

Ornos: I haven't stayed at any of the hotels at this area yet so I can't offer any personal insight.

The quietest place probably would be the Kivotos: kivotosclubhotel.com/mykonos-luxury-accommod…

Some other Ornos hotels to check out are the Yiannaki: http://www.yiannaki.gr/

The Dionysos: http://www.dionysoshotel.gr/

Vanilla: http://www.vanillahotel.gr/home.htm

Deliades: http://www.deliades.com/en/mykonos-hotel.html

In case you decide to consider Agios Ioannis, the options include the top-rated Mykonos Grand and the Saint John Mykonos. Both are large hotels situated on hillsides above quiet sections of beach, where each resort has its own private lounge chairs and umbrellas.

Another option at Agios Ioannis is the Apollonia resort, a smaller property than the Grand and Saint John. It's not on the beach, but just a short walk away. apollonia-resort.gr/mykonos/deluxe/hotel.htm

Be sure to read reviews here on TripAdvisor for each of the hotels so you can get a sense from other guests of whether the place is in a quiet location and offers the services and ambience you would like to experience.

I have posted dozens of photos and even short videoclips of Platis Gialos, Ornos, Agios Ioannis and other Mykonos beach areas on my personal travel blog: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/ There's also many photos of Mykonos and lots of information about the island throughout the blog. Keep in mind that my photos were shot primarily in May and that's why the beaches look empty. In August, they will be packed with sunbathers!

6. Re: Quieter Mykonos?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, July 09, 2013