We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

We need to take the fast ferry from Mykonos to Santorini on June 6th and there are two options, seajets and hellenic seaways. Both leave around the same time. Hellenic seaways is showing business class online but seajets seem to only have economy.

I was wondering if there is any major difference in these two companies.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

Nomadic, catamarans have a luggage allowance just like the airlines do.

it is included in the price, like British Airways or Aegean for eg.

as for the unpredictability of the crossings being part of the magic of greece, try telling that to the people who live on the smaller islands with no airport or main land close by. you have no choice but to use the boats, and believe me, their unpredictability is far from magic.

furthermore, some of these boats should not even be in service, they are over 20 years old now and have had no interior refurbishments in that time, and you can tell.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

Your arguements are flawed and inconsistant.

- You seem annoyed and purturbed that I set out my travel experience and seek to provide useful advice for other folk travelling here. You try and blame my bad experience somehow on me- as my fault.

-And yet you say that I should have looked for advice before I travel because it is well known that in Greece ferry times are more fiction than fact.

This is not your private club. Folk are free to relate their actual travel experiences.

Is there some aspect of my story which you regard as untrue or didn't happen as I relate?

Or course I understand that timetables are delayed by bad weather. No timetable should not be based on the slowest possible times. They should be based on realistic times- updated by actual experience and be achievable.

The lost hours were not spent in harbour transfering passengers. The one suprisingly efficient aspect was how quickly folk managed to get their bags and get off- The bulk of the 4 hours was lost in the actual travel. So we either went to more islands than planned for- went slower to save fuel- or the times were not achievable. Whatever the actual reason- the effect is the same.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

Personally I do not think anyone here tries to blame you for anything. People with decades of ferry travel in Greece under their belts are trying to give you a broader perspective and you are refusing to listen. You have made what, two ferry journeys and you jump out of nowhere passing judgment and rubbishing the whole company on that account. That is frankly ridiculous. Seajets catamarans are not the most reliable and punctual vessels in the Aegean, true, but most of the time they do a good job, keep to schedules and cause no problems for travellers. If the ferry had to run slower than usual I cannot believe it was to spite their passengers. There must have been a very good reason for that, most likely the sea conditions were not safe for going faster.

As far as ferries are concerned you really need to be more realistic, know their shortcomings, allow for delays and do some contingency planning. We are not living in an ideal world yet.

Edited: 5:46 am, October 05, 2012
Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
34. Re: Seajets vs Hellenic Seaways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 16, 2013