We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

Hello

I wonder if you can help me. My friend and I are looking for a holiday in May for a week. The criteria is: Hot and to have the option of a good nightlife for 26 year old girls. As it’s only a week we don’t really want to go anywhere outside Europe. Does Mykonos tick all those boxes?

Any help gratefully received!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

You'll find the nightlife is excellent there, if expensive, but I doubt it will be hot yet. Swimming pools aren't heated and if the wind is blowing the seawater won't be very warm. Sunbathing should be OK though.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

Hi there.Mykonos' combination of nightlife and nice weather is unbeatable.It depends though what you consider hot.The usual temp for May is 23-26 c and around 18-20 in the evening.The sea is always cold,even in August,so the pool will be a good choice.If the wind is blowing a light jacket is necessary.A great area to avoid strong winds(if any) is Agios Ioannis bay.Hope you have fun!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

Mykonos will be warm to hot during the daytime in May (that's been our experience), while nightlife can be lukewarm because it's still early in the season and many bars and clubs are just beginning to open or get ready to open for the summer. If you time your visit for one of the last weekends in May, when Greek students visit the island for an annual party, the party scene will be more vibrant. The sea, as teddy mentioned, will be cold, while the water in hotel swimming pools also will be cold. Early mornings and evenings can get windy and very chilly.

Another option to consider is Ios. It has great nightlife (last May, there were lots of visitors in their 20s), it's substantially cheaper to visit than Mykonos (particularly for accommodation), and the sea water is surprisingly warmer than on Mykonos (perhaps because the water at some of the great Ios beaches is shallower). I could never swim in the sea at Mykonos in May, but Ios was a different story altogether.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

If you don't mind someone horning in on your thread: which weekend is that, that the students come? Is it just to Mykonos? We would like to avoid that time, if possible. We are planning on Mykonos from about 25th May, but if it will be very crowded with students, then, might prefer to pick another island.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

No need to avoid Mykonos. I've been on the island several times during the student party weekend, and it's nothing at all like American spring break, if that's what you're worried about. And it doesn't get "very crowded" as a result.

In the daytime, the student presence in Mykonos Town isn't any worse than the hordes of cruise ship passengers roaming the village on any days that one or more large liners is in port. And unless you plan to go partying yourself after midnight, you might not see much of the students.

The island is big enough, and has enough beaches, to comfortably accommodate the influx of students as well as regular tourists.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

Very few student excursions this year.Don't forget Greece is in deep recession.

7. Re: Mykonos - Hot in May for two 26 year old girls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 19, 2013