We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is it?

Lancashire
7 posts
Save Topic
How expensive is it?

Hi

I'm about to book a holiday to Mykonos and I was just wondering exactly how expensive it is. I've been going to Skiathos for the past few years and as much as I love it I wanted to try somewhere diffferent this year.

Skiathos can be quite expensive if you dont shop around for things, is Mykonos a lot more expensive?

Thanks x

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive is it?

Hi,

I stayed in Skiathos last year and briefly 1 night... in Mykonos the year before. It is difficult to put a number on this, but a very vague number is an average of 50% pricier.

What it amounts to is shopping around even more carefully as the number of expensive places is a higher proportionally than in Skiathos. Mykonos does rather cynically just increase prices as fashionable tourist hotspots do anywhere, most of the punters aren't on tight budgets.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive is it?

Lauren, if you are travellng independently and planning to go this summer -- i.e. July or August, of course it will be very expensive. Even a bit off-season it is expensive. Example, in June on Naxos a beach-chair rental is about 4€ ... 2 beach chairs & umbrella = 7/8€ for the day. Mykonos paradise beach, 1 chair = €17. Why? Because they can!

You may be finding some package booking from UK, but be careful about location... may find yourself in an inconvenient place. Be aware that if you book something in a beach area, and go into Mykonos town for nightlife... busses stop at midnight and taxis are VERY scarce, some people get stranded.

Lancashire
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive is it?

I'm was planning on going in August with my boyfriend. Wow it is expensive! We have been looking at places close to the town, these are very expensive too.

Can anyone suggest any other islands to visit? We loved Skiathos! Anywhere with good beaches, beautiful and with a good nightlife. We arent really into clubbing but enjoy nice cocktail bars.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
693 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive is it?

TRY PAROS. Definitely not as expensive and really lovely and has a decent night life, not as happening as Mykonos but still nice.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive is it?

Ditto on Paros ... a whole lot more lodgings in a range of prices. Most of the island is level or gentle hills, so you can rent an ATV if you have a drivers license. For best access to night life, look for places at the Edge of Parikia (the port town) or Naoussa (the other main town).

If they have rooms left, here's one recommended by a Paros expert, near Naoussa: http://www.athinastudios.gr/ website shows rates

Here's a bargain on the edge of Parikia, on Livadia beach (mediocre beach, but handy rooms) http://www.alexandrasrooms.gr/

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How expensive is it?

Hiya!

Mykonos is one of the most expensive Greek islands and definitely more expensive than Skiathos, which is also on the expensive side.

Having said that, there are always cheap places to eat and drink but lodgings' prices will be high in the sky in August.

My first and most important recommendation is to avoid going anywhere between the 11th and 22nd of August. It is the busiest time of year and you won't enjoy your holiday.

Now, the trick to not pay too much for ferry tix, hotel and food is to do the following:

1. Pick an island that is not too far from Athens (that guarantees cheap ferry tix).

2. Pick an island that is not among the popular ones and

3. Pick an island that is not among the trendy ones (which change every few years)

Tinos fits your description, so do Naxos, Syros and Milos. They have nice beaches, nightlife but not of the extreme kind and good local cuisine.

Do keep in mind though that Tinos gets very crowded after the 10th of August so please rule it out if you are planning to go between the 11th and 22nd.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How expensive is it?

Hello,

Just read your post TH13, and ekk I'm booked to go between Aug 26th - Sept 2nd!

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a budget that I should aim to have for my trip. Naively I booked Mykonos and paid for our flights and hotel (B&B) without looking into the cost of visiting. My partner and I are thinking of budgeting around £800 for the week, so around £115/€130 per day. Would this be enough?

I have been researching a couple of nicer & cheaper restaurants to try and keep food costs to a minimum. I also read one reviewer who said that you should haggle before paying for sun beds. Is that possible?

Cheers

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How expensive is it?

Unless your preference is to dine and drink at trendy, upscale restaurants and bars, a daily budget of €130 is completely workable. Should actually be more than enough, in fact. Since your accommodations will include breakfast, your expenses basically will be for lunches and dinners and drinking (if applicable). On our visits to Mykonos we have almost always paid under €40 for a substantial dinner for two including wine. If we splurge, a lunch with at least one large Mythos beer might cost us up to €25. We have only ever paid over €50 for a dinner (with wine) and that has been on special occasions (eg birthdays), and even then the bills never exceeded €80.

To keep beverage costs down, you could purchase beer, wine or alcohol at a minimarket and drink it at your hotel prior to going out. Cheap eats, like souvlaki from a place like Jimmi's Souvlaki, will stretch your budget farther (eg a lunch for two for €5).

Almost all restaurants (and many bars) post their prices on menus at the entrance, so as you walk around you can take a look to see which places offer appealing food in your budget range. Avoid places facing the harbour or the sea (especially Little Venice), where prices tend to be significantly higher because you are paying for the location and view. Restaurants in the streets deeper in the heart of Town tend to be more reasonably priced.

You can try haggling for reduced sunbed prices; certainly couldn't hurt. Worst they could do is tell you is that the price is firm. If you're pleasant with the rental staff, you might score a discount (we got some great offers in May even though we weren't looking to rent lounge chairs).

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How expensive is it?

Hello Marc from London -not just a town but... the love of me life!

Welcome to the Greek forums!

Looks like you will go as the crowds will be leaving, good call mate!

Now, budget. I usually spend around 55-70 euros per day. That's for breaky from the bakery, lunch at the beach from the bakery&supermarket (I carry a cool bag with water, sodas, cheese, ham, yoghurt and a bag with bread and some honey or spoon dessert) and dinner at a restaurant plus the occasional coffee, sweet, newspaper. I do tend to go to places cheaper than Mykonos but I always splurge for dinner (fresh fish and seafood is what I eat while on holiday since I don't enjoy the ones that I get in Athens). I never pay for sunbeds and brollies.

If you choose to go to the popular beaches then you might feel awkward to do the "supermarket lunch" and you might find yourselves in the position of having to pay for sunbeds and brolly in order to get a decent spot on the sand. On the other hand, you can choose more economical dinner options.

All I'm saying is: you can't have breaky at a cafe, lunch/snack at a restaurant, have a sunbed&brolly and dinner at a nice restaurant for 130 euros per day but you can choose what's more important to you and economise for the rest of the stuff.

A very nice (excellent, IMO) and cheap place to eat is Maerion.

I would never haggle the price of a sunbed but then again, that's me. Someone else might do it.

Be careful of beach bars which offer free sunbeds and brolly if you buy your drinks from them. You might end up paying more!

Edited: 12:29 pm, July 02, 2011
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How expensive is it?

BTW, I assumed that it's 130 euros for both of you. If it's per person, then you can live like the King Of Mykonos, LOL!