We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from athens to mykonos

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from athens to mykonos

Hi there,

I've done extensive research , we land in Athens at 9:20pm. The planes and the ferries do not connect until around 5pm in the day. Does anyone know of any ferries that may leave Athens earlier in the day so we do not spend the day at the airport? We will be traveling on August 8th. Thank you!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Check out gtp.gr

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Thank you, How far is Rafina from Athens airport in comparison to Pireaus?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Did you mean to write that your flight arrives at 9:20 in the *morning* instead of 9:20 *pm*?

If you are in fact arriving in Athens in the morning, why don't you look into flying Aegean on their 11 a.m. flight to Mykonos, which is showing availability?

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

oops! Yes....my mind is fried because my wedding is less than 2 weeks away. We do land at 920AM not PM. I thought catching the 11am flight would be cutting it close with needing to go thru customs.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

If you land at 9.20 a.m. I don't think you will have time to catch an 11.00 a.m. flight out unless you can be sure that your baggage will be checked straight through to Mykonos. Rafina is a lot nearer the airport than Piraeus is, and it is also nearer Mykonos than Piraeus is. Buses for Rafina leave from outside the aiport terminal and take about half an hour. I think Rafina is also a better place to spend a few hours than either the aiport or Piraeus. There are several fish tavernas at the port.

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Ok, so I think our only option is to take the 14:55 ferry from Rafina to Mykonos on Sunday, August 8th with Sea Jet 2. I am nervous to book with them because of other postings on here saying they canceled their reservations. Also, it seems there are only economy smoking seats available. (berth/seat) Not sure what this means exactly. Would my fiance and I bet sitting together?

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Because Seajet 2 is a small catamaran it does sometimes get cancelled due to the weather. But Seajet 2 is no different to the other fast catamarans - they can all get cancelled due to high winds. However this is rare and if it happens you will get a refund and be able to book on another ferry. There is a large car ferry at 18:00.

You and your fiance would sit together. The information about sexes being separated is only if your are booking shared cabins on an overnight journey.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

I am suprised about Economy Smoking being offered as I was under the impression that smoking was no longer allowed inside any Greek ship. I have been trying to clarify this without success. Maybe someone else can enlighten us. It may be that the booking software is not up-to-date and that all seats are in fact non-smoking.

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

Thank you for all your help. Glad to hear we will be sitting together. I hope you are right and they do not allow smoking on the ferries. That would be awful if they did. I think we will go ahead and book these today. Next up... booking ferry from Mykonos to Santorini!!

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from athens to mykonos

We are all set with 1 leg of our trip! Ferries are booked from Athens to Mykonos! YAY!!

Thanks again for everyone's help!