We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

Hi all,

We will be travelling to Mykonos for the first time in August (2 x 26yr old females). I have read through lots and lots of posts on accommodation options but the more I look the more confused I am about all the options! We would love a place with a view and also a swimming pool - our budget is 100-130E. I know it is peak season so maybe we are setting our budget too low??

Some have recommended staying in town, whilst other people have recommended staying at the beaches. We are interested in seeing the beautiful beaches but also would like to see the nightlife. I have read there are bars at the beaches (eg Paradise, Supa Paradise etc) but also there are several options in town. We are concerned about travelling back to our hotel/apartment late at night - are there buses or taxis that take you back to the beaches late at night if we stay there?

We have had suggestions of Hotel Tagoo, Mykonos Bay Hotel, Hermes, Carop Tree(E165) and Hotel Alkyon(E160) - all these places are lovely but seem a bit pricey for us.

We are in Mykonos for 4 nights and then moving to Santorini for 3 nights. Maybe we are best to splurge on the $ in Mykonos and find something cheaper in Santorini?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

You have picked to visit two of the most expensive Greek islands during the peak of the high season. If you want nice accommodation close to the party scene or with views respectively, you will have to fork out.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

We were in the same conundrum and opted to go for a higher rate one nite stay in Mykonos and a lower rate multiple nites in Santorini. We poured over hotel after hotel and finally we chose Vencia Boutique Hotel in Mykonos and Evgenia Villas Hotel in Santorini. We are staying mid September.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

Hi,

I don't see any confusion, been staying on Mykonos quite a few times over 30 years. I always elect to stay in Mykonos town and as first timers the obvious choice.

It's high season in the most expensive Greek Island so being fussy about views and swimming pools comes pricey.

However in reality you probably make no use of either facility. Most people just use the room, will be out all day around the beaches or where ever by the time they are back it's close to sunset. Often the hotel bar has a good view anyway. In the evening they are straight out to Mykonos town for the evening for the eating and drinking.

So it's simple, forego the view and swimming pool, and go for a simpler hotel or rooms place. Another advantage is the cheaper places are less pretentious.

You can take taxis back the beach places late at night, but it may be long wait and of course extra expense which will probably erode any price advantage.

The same general principles would also apply to Santorini. Though in the latter case the choice is Fira town or the beach resorts of Kamari Beach or Perissa.

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

Thanks for your replies everyone. We have deided to stay in mykonos town. We chose the Hotel Alkyon to stay at but unfortunately they are booked out, so we are deciding between out other options.

ny
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

Definetely stay in Mykonos town. I am also 26 and went last summer with my girlfriends on Holiday. The beach is very young and kinda a wild party. Its nice to go there for the day and then comback and go out in town. Hotel Rochari was fantastic. 5 min walk from town and 5 min from the buses that take you to the beach. Check it out. http://rochari.com/

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

hi travel1231

I remember your original posting here looking for some hotel recommendations. I've very pleased you enjoyed both the Rochari and the island.

Jon

7. Re: Accommodation confusion in Mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 05, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos