We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos tips for first timers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Hi,

Thought I would post some hints and tips on my experiences in travelling to Mykonos. I travel to Mykonos every year and stay 2-3 weeks, this year is my 5th trip and even though I know a few locals and what to expect I still learn something new every year! Age wise I travel with friends who are aged 26-36 we are mixed Greek, Italian and Australian backgrounds and we certainly meet others of various ages and nationalities:)

Best time to travel:

Depends what you are looking for, the best DJ’s play July/August and it’s when the party going Italians/Croatians take their breaks:) I have travelled to Mykonos in all months June/July/August/September but my fav time is July/Aug. The locals agree for the party scene July/Aug is best but they also say April/May is nice and not too hot!

Best Beaches:

My favourite beach to go and relax at is Elia Beach, bed hire is 16EURO for 2 beds and an umbrella but they are the best in Mykonos (obviously you can lay on the sand too with you towel for no cost)

They have an awesome restaurant called ‘Elia’ and it’s great to sit down and watch the sunset after a full day at the beach. If you get beds in the middle area of the beach next to the water sports hire you will hear the BEST music playing in the background throughout the day. NOTE: the right and left side of the beach is mainly for the gay visitors.

For party beaches that turn into clubs late afternoon from around 4ish.

1) Tropicana at Paradise Beach is a must at least once, but be warned it can get crazy...look for Sasa a famous Italian entertainer:) he is funny and the voice of MYKONOSSSS, they have podium dancers which are pretty wild! The Contiki tours stop at Tropicana from around 4pm, for an afternoon/evening of fun times.

2) Kalua Bar at Paraga Beach is classy and I find the crowd is not as young as Tropicana, they have alot of bars and restaurants, one bar has a great outdoor pool area up near the main camping office (yeah they have camping grounds at this beach) bed hire varies from 7-10 EURO per bed.

3) Super Paradise is fun, people always think this beach is for gay crowds only but they are wrong. It’s definitely a mixed crowd and a great beach to go for sunbathing, bed hire is between 6-8 EURO per bed.

All the beaches offer food/drink service, which is nice if you can afford it, but by the time you pay the bed hire etc it can get a little expensive, some people bring there own mixes in water bottles etc (if you get what I mean)

In peak season you do need to get to the beaches by around 11am as all the good spots, at the front are gone.

Other nice beaches for the scenery and remoteness: Panormos, Ornos, Kalo Livadi

Spending Money:

Some tips for saving money.

* Go to the grocery store for fruit, alcohol, mixes etc and 1 L water is only 1E

* Instead of eating 3 meals have brunch and a late dinner, you will find if your in town and still out at 5am people line up to have a Gyros at Jimmy’s for 3 EURO!

* Pre drink before you go out, this saves you so much. Drinks/cocktails are anywhere between 6-12EURO but they are strong!! look for the specials in bars/clubs as they often have deals to get you inside.

Best Clubs/Bars:

*Clubs/DJs check out the websites of CAVO PARADISO and PARADISE CLUB closer to the time you are leaving, to see which DJ's are playing on the nights you are there, but FYI don't arrive any earlier than 11pm, same as the clubs in town...doesn't get packed till midnight at least!!!

*Clubs in town, anywhere around the Little Venice area you can’t go wrong, my favourite is Galleraki Bar, Scarpa, Remezzo, Astra. All the first timers go to Scandinavian Bar and Space but I enjoy going where the locals are.

Transport:

Buses are a great way to get around, and if you are staying in town the main bus area (where all the buses are parked together) has schedules of where the buses go and to what beaches. Make sure you buy a return bus ticket as this saves time when you have to queue up at the end of the day – the lines for the return buses at some beaches can get CRAZY, sometimes they only let on people with tickets first (no idea why) so check the time of your return bus and try to line up a good 10-15min before hand. In some beaches like Elia, Paradise etc people will actually follow the bus well it's trying to park just to be nearest to the door when it opens - nightmare:(

NOTE: If you do buy a return ticket DON’T let them RIP the return ticket otherwise it’s invalid! I have learnt from experience they can be a little shifty:) Cost for a ticket is around 1.70EURO one way.

Taxi’s are also good but with only a limited amount on the island you will wait ages, you need to ring the taxi company and book, they give you a ref number and when the taxi comes he asks you to quote it. Reason being if you are in a line with 30 people waiting the cab takes the person who booked first! A tip, share with others if you can. Places like Super and Paradise do have their own bus services that take you back into town but check it out when you arrive, don’t bank on getting a cab at the end of the night.

Shopping:

Mykonos has some great shopping BUT compared to Athens it can get a little expensive. If you are not planning a stop in Athens to shop then I suggest bringing alot of cash! They have some good cheap souvenir places around Little Venice and the Windmills, cheaper shopping boutiques are in the middle of town next to accessorize. If you are in Mykonos late Aug/Sept the specials are great!

On the beaches they have vendors come and try sell you copy watches, bags, CDs etc...I have bought them all and do think the CDs are a great way to save...bargain with them 4 for 10E etc you can’t go wrong!!

Food:

It is a tricky one as everyone has different tastes and experiences, my favourite cheap food places are Jimmy’s and the Pelican Restaurant, for more pricey places I like Nobu, Mamacas and Interni.

Well I hope this has helped a little, enjoy your travels to Mykonos.....it’s an amazing destination

:)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
924 posts
12 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Tashi

Great information for first timers to Mykonos. Thanks for posting it!

Jon

karenborter
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Thanks for posting this. I am going next week. The Nobu you are talking about is that in the Belvedere or is it stand alone?

All great information Thanks Tashi

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
14 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Nobu is at the Belvedere Hotel but I'm not sure it'll be open this early in the season...

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Nobu normally opens in June!

ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

hi tashi,thats really good advice you posted.do you have any advice on getting jobs?im thinking of going the very start of may and would'nt mind working in a restaurant,but any job will do.any tips on workers accomodation?any advice ypu have would be greatly appreciated.thanks a mil......Sinead

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Hi Sinead,

Funny you should ask cos I have always wanted to do that myself.

From what I understand ALOT of people come across from Athens for 6 mths to work on Mykonos and then head back for the winter to do their studies etc

I recommend you look at the local classfieds for Athens, also post "looking for work" on Mykonos bars/restaurant facebook websites.

London Gumtree is also a great site to post things.

It would help if you also could speak Greek or some other languages too.

I wish you luck, it would certainly be an amazing adventure:)

ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

thanks a mill for info tashi, really appreciate it. Take care

Sydney, Australia
1 post
8. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

What area would you stay in to be close to all the above beaches, nightlife etc?

Any hotel recommendations?

las vegas nv
Level Contributor
21 posts
9. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Hi tashi, heading to mykonos in 2 weeks and staying at the K hotels dont know if ur familiar wid this hotel but wats the best way to get there from the port? Are there taxis at the port? Know of any transfer companies out there? Maybe a website? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Mykonos tips for first timers
Save

Hi Babz,

I would definately stay near the centre of town...the main bus connections are all there and the clubs in town are great when your not feeling like seeing one of the top DJ's out at CAVO or Paradise Club (plus 25E entry fee can add up)

I stay at the Hotel Alkyon and swear by Sophia and her family - the best hospitailty and I can't fault the hotel service, safety and LOCATION...it's a 5-10 min walk into town.

I also suggest you have a look at the following website bookings.com, great for finding hotels and most don't take payment until you arrive. Goodluck

Hey Dtovits,

I have actually seen a hotel bus for the K Hotels - have you checked with them first? The prob with taxis is there are a limited amount on the island so it's hard when hundreds of people come off the boat, most are fighting for the next cab...I've seen people waiting there for hours:)

I used A2Btransfers.com once and that was good, also www.transfersonly.net is another popular one. I still think the hotel should offer something - they may just ask you to call them when you arrive.

The buses are a bit of a walk away so either go through a transfer company or your hotel. I have seen a little old greek man happily pick up people on his little bike/van (so cute) but not sure how many people you are travelling with as he only fits about 2-3. Goodluck...hope that has helped.

Tasha