We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How wild is Mykonos?

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How wild is Mykonos?

I will be visiting Mykonos with my husband for the first time in August, staying at the Elia Beach area which I've read is pretty far away from the hustle and bustle, which is great for us as we're not really that much into crowded clubs, loud music and crazy behaviour on the streets. We love beaches, exploring narrow streets, studying architecture and archeology. We'll definitely go downtown of course, but the more info I find on the island, the more it sounds like Ibiza. I've read that bum-pinching is the norm. Help! It doesn't really sound like my idea of an ideal holiday. Have we made a mistake?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

you have made terrific choice...elia beach is one of the best beaches to relax and swim in blue waters....myconos is not wild..has many clubs and bars but of corse is not ibiza and it couldn been...the island is really famous but we talking for one of the smaller islands of aegean...myconos town can be noisy only and only at night cause the noisy party area at day take place at paraga and super paradise beach...dont have any concern..i have made lot of friends from italy in myconos..especially in august myconos is full of italians...elia beach is great for the type of hollidays you want....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

karena i have post about 640forums posts as you see but i have never mentioned this....myconos is my best place in greece...im under 30 and probbly thats one reason ..but i love this place for one thing most.....you can be isolated in beaches and places going only by foot(from platy yallos beach to paraga can you find perfect places) ....you can relax like being in a desert island but you know that in few metres of you ...you can find anything you want and imagine...clubs,bars,parties,places to be.thats why i love this place....is one of the most famous places in greece but you can be alone and absolutelly relaxe from about 2 kilometres distance party areas....

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

Karena, you shouldn't encounter craziness at Elia Beach. We stayed there (at the Myconian Imperial Resort) last month and found it to be incredibly peaceful and relaxing. There isn't a lot of development in the area -- just a handful of hotels and private apartments, only three tavernas, and no shopping -- so it doesn't get too busy. You'll also have your choice of two beaches to enjoy -- you can walk from Elia over to Agrari beach, which is on just the other side of a rocky hill that juts into the sea and is easy to hike across in sandals or shoes. Since you and your husband love archeology, be sure to take one of the boat excursions to Delos Island, to explore the ruins and the museum there. It's a fun trip and will take only half of one day, leaving you plenty of free time to explore Mykonos Town, other beaches or other parts of the island. And if you and your husband enjoy hiking, I recommend taking a hike up the roadway that runs up the right-hand side of the mountain next to the Myconian Imperial Resort. It's a steep walk but the views from the top of the mountain are spectacular.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

Mykonos can be very wild. Mykonos can also be very relaxed. There is a place for everyone in Mykonos. Although nightlife can be crazy, you can get away from it all in a matter of minutes. Nightlife is Ibiza-style, in terms of intensity, but everything is done in style and designer outfits and is certainly more fun.

Italy
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

Hi all, thanks so much for all your replies. I feel a lot better. Thanks very much for your tips esp. on where to go.

I am not Italian, although I live in Italy. The fact that there are plenty of Italians in Mykonos in August isn't exactly a plus point :-)) altough in August there are plenty of Italians EVERYWHERE as the country shuts down and people escape. My husband is Italian but I am actually oriental. Do you think this is going to be a problem there? i.e. will I stick out too much and be stared at (because I hate that!)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

well the trues is that italians visitors are allways noisy and sometimes rude when they drink little more,but i dont think you will have problem...forget all these and prepare for your great vacations to one of the most great islands of greece; )

Huntington Station...
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

I stayed in Mykonos for 5 days in June with my daughter and loved it!!! Mykonos town is very nice, you will meet all different nationalities. I met quite a few Oriental people I wouldn't worry at all about standing out. I'm sure August will be more crowded but there are plenty of quiet places on the island to visit. Enjoy!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

don't worry!mykonos is very beautiful.the place you are going to stay is away from all the noise.don't forget to take a day trip to delos island-great antiquities from ancient times.it is close to mykonos and many local tourist offices can arrange transportation and guides.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

Mykonos has something for everyone. You'll have a fabulous time even if the island is completely overun by Italians in August. You are quite far from the center of the action.

Lugano, Switzerland
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How wild is Mykonos?

Mykonos is my favourite island. Sea and beaches are great (Elia and Agrari are your best choice), it has a lot to offer and as foggy mentioned you can chose if you want a wild or relaxed vacation.

It is probably the place where you have the smallest chance to be stared at because so many people do their best to stand out and BE stared at.

My wife and I are not crazy party goers but we love it there: it's a place where we really feel on vacation and enjoy.

Still if you want to tour and visit archeological sites maybe another island or the Peloponnese would have been a better choice than the most cosmopolitan island in Greece.