We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driver's license

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
10 posts
Save Topic
driver's license

Do you need an international driver's license to rent a car or moped in mynokos, or is a U.S. driver's license enough?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driver's license

Ussually is a US drivers license OK, but companies give a car normally to drivers older than 23 years. Mopeds from 21 years.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driver's license

I have just returned from a visit to the Greek national tourist office here in Toronto, where I asked this very question. A rep advised me that you DO indeed need an international driver's licence to rent vehicles while in Greece. Although many rental places will rent vehicles to drivers with American or Canadian driver's licences (as was the case last summer when I rented a car in Crete), if you get stopped by the police during your travels and don't have an international permit, you could be charged or fined.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driver's license

So, all that being said, how do you get an International Driver's License in Canada??? We live in Toronto.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driver's license

? :(

Maybe some friends from Canada are able to help in this.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driver's license

lemma, you can get an international driver's licence from a Toronto office of the CAA (Canadian Automobile Association). It costs approx. $15 if you are not a CAA member. The CAA staff told me that I can obtain an international permit if I bring in my valid Ontario driver's licence plus two photographs of myself (passport photos are fine but even photos taken from the little photo booths you can find in some shopping centres are sufficient, they said).

There is a CAA office in downtown Toronto on Yonge Street, just a few doors north of Carlton Street (on the east side).

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driver's license

That's excellent, thanks for all the info! I live uptown on Yonge, so I'll see if there's a CAA office close by, if not I'll hit the one you suggested.