We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

harbour work at Antiparos

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
harbour work at Antiparos

Hi I have just come back from a 3 week holiday in Paros. When I was there I took a day trip to Antiparos, where I had stayed a few years ago, to show my girlfriend.

What is going on there? What happened to the little ferries? - My girlfriend did not fancy the very small Poseidon that was going to Antiparos, so we went via Pounta.

When we arrived the Harbour front was being paved! Why? Is this to make it pretty? How much are they doing?

I asked around but one-one gave be a convincing answer, they ranged from Maria(-who is Maria?) wanted it, to 'some E.U. Money left over'.

Has any-one got any firm knowledge and how far will it go?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

Yes, the old ferries are gone, and one of the local round-island tour operators has attempted to fill the gap with his much smaller Poseidon. Primary access to Antiparos is, and always has been, the landing craft-type car ferries from Pounta. Ferries direct from Parikia run only during high season, roughly mid-June to mid-September.

Paving the promenade around the harbour is a separate issue, apparently pushed through by one Antiparos political party, and opposed by the other. When I left in mid-June pallets of paving stones were there, but work hadn't yet started.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

I have just returned from Antiparos on Wednesday and from what I can see the harbour front paving has all been finished. I reckon it is part of the gentrification of the whole place. They have also built in lots of matching crazy-paved seating areas which make it look a lot more snazzy but also sadly less authentically Greek.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

Hi jdmurphy,

Thanks for the update! I look forward to seeing the results when I return to Antiparos next month. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

I am also going to be there next month (23rd-27th) and look forward to seeing the crazy paving. Sounds like I will be on the Pounta ferry. Does anyone know when the Pounta to Parikia bus starts running, as I am hoping to catch a ferry from Parikia at 8.50 a.m. when I leave (the Atemis to Donoussa).

GreecemadUK

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

Hi GreecemadUK,

The latest info I have is here: paroslife.parosweb.com/timetable.html?id=1

The 0750 bus will get you to Parikia in plenty of time for the ferry.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

Ask for a printed timetable at the bus station in Parikia on your way to Antiparos. Either get an extra bus ticket for the return from Pounta there, or buy one at Marianos Supermarket on Antiparos. Marianos will probably have a bus timetable taped to the door in case you don't get one in Parikia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

Thanks for info and update on work from idmurphy. maybe Hiemdall or GreecemadUK could add a progress report later in the summer after there visits.

If A.P. becomes too 'twee' I will have to cross it off my list of islands for next year.

BTW in June the Cave travel agent had a timetable of Antiparos/Pounta ferries on the door with the ones that are met by bus starred in red

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

I don't think there is much danger of Antiparos becoming 'too twee' as a result of paving work along the harbour. The pallets of paving stones I saw in June were similar to those already used in other parts of town. :o)

I will be on Antiparos at the end of August, and post my reactions once I've seen the completed project.

london
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

The paving was paid for by the community and has only just been finished because work started a lot later then planned. This was because half the village voted for the paving and half against! It looks nice though..and it is only paving of a walkway that already existed and raising it slightly..nothing major!

The ferry boats are still running. In fact they now have the original larger boat back on the island and doing the trip from Antiparos to Parikia. The Ferry to parikia does not run in bad weather ( winds) so sometimes the car ferry is the only option.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: harbour work at Antiparos

The paving froms a footpath from the pier to the Avra taverna along the harbour wall. They have used all natural stone colours and it looks fine to me. It means there is now a proper footpath whereas before it was possible for cars to park in the way.