We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

Thanks much for the useful info on my earlier post.

Do you think I could get myself a room for up to 20 euros per night? Glaros doesnot publish its prices in their webpage. Also - is price negotioation popular at all, or they might be offended and not used to it? For example, if I want to take care of my room-cleaning myself (reduce costs and also that I've never liked chambermaid services) - can I ofer that?

Now, in case that I do want to bring my notebook - where can I have internet connection?

What about renting a mountain bikes? Is the topography of Antiparos allow to explore it by bikes? Do they have mountain bikes for rent, or just city bikes are available?

Thanks again,

Buttercup

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

Antiparos is relatively easy to explore by bike, since it has only one main road that takes you from town towards the caves and Saint.George’s beach. If I recall correctly the ups and downs are not that steep except for the cave since it is a bit of a climb to the entrance of the cave. Usually on the islands if there is a bike rental (in most cases together with a scooter rental) the available bikes are mountain bikes and not city or trekking bikes. I wouldn’t really negotiate the rate, and if it is that you do that, the only place you could negotiate would be the port and that, only if you decided to look for accommodation on arrival. Self catering accommodation usually offers housekeeping every third or every fourth day.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

Hi ButterCup,

It is possible to find a room for €20/night on Antiparos, especially before mid-June when the high season rates come into effect. That would be the lower end of the range, though. I have a friend who stays for six weeks at a time, and has a long standing arrangement for €15/night.

If you are looking for a good rate, the best thing would be to come without pre-booking, and look around for a room when you arrive on the island. There will be a few people waiting at the port, and possibly even someone at Parikia, but don't take the first room on offer. Everyone will have vacancies in May.

What I would suggest is: walk up to Yannis Place, order a coffee or juice, and ask Yannis (Greek for John) if he knows somewhere you can stay long term. Chances are you won't find anything with a sea view at that price, but you never know. If Yannis can't help, he will let you leave your bags there while you walk around town. When you find a room, agree to take it for a few days - that will give you time to look around the island for a long term rental.

No one is offended if you negotiate in a nice way. When island hopping, I start out by asking the price for one night, then ask if they have a better if I stay for 2, 3, or however many days - it usually works. From what I have heard, Greek hotel owners are expecting a poor season this year, so someone may look upon a two month rental as a godsend.

There are several mountain bike rental agencies along the harbour in Antiparos. The area around Antiparos Town is relatively flat, and even the road to Ag Georgios not too demanding. If you are fit, you could explore practically the whole island by mountain bike. The highest mountain on Antiparos is only about 300m, so no Tour de France type climbs.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

Regarding your notebook, I think it's a matter of asking around to see where you can connect it. There are a couple of internet cafes in town, but I'm not sure if they have wi-fi. Some of the hotels advertise wi-fi, but they aren't necessarily the cheapest places to stay.

One hotel which I know has wi-fi is Theologos Place. I stayed there two years ago, and he had a long term guest who was actually working over the internet, using the hotel dining room as his "office". Theo has rooms from about €25, and may give you a better deal for a long term rental. Check him out when you get there, or at http://www.theologosplace.com/theo/ .

If all you want to do is check emails, many of the cafes, travel agents and hotels have computers you can use for a small fee.

4. Re: Some more questions on Antiparos - cont'd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 28, 2009