We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Anafi 2011

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Anafi 2011

I wonder can anyone give me some advice. My partner, my sister and I are planning a two or three week holiday next July 2011 to the Cyclades with our 6 six year old son and my sister's two girls aged 10 and 13. I originally asked questions from the Naxos experts and got loads of help and advice about staying in the harbour area but it then turned out that my sister's idea of an idyllic holiday was very far removed from bustling Naxos! To give you an idea of what we like we have spent several holidays in Greece and especially liked Sifnos, Syros, Paros and Antiparos, where we stayed last year. Antiparos was probably a bit too sophisticated,crowded and expensive for us.

We have talked it over and decided we all really like the look of Anafi - peace and quiet, lovely beaches, a quaint little Chora and harbour all connected by buses or paths. We would like to stay for two or three weeks in one place and just chill out. However I have emailed a few places to find out prices and am either not getting any answers or getting mail returned. Villa Galini looked nice but their email address was returned as a permanent fault to me and I got one reply from Villa Kalamiotissa but their price is 90 euros a night for three in a studio and that's really way too expensive for us.

Can anyone who has been there recommend any place to stay? We would prefer 2 separate rooms for 3 people in each. We don't need anything fancy, just a shower and a fridge and maybe a cooking ring and some plates and utensils with an adjoining terrace or balcony or even a communal one.

Also I wondered if anyone could tell me if there are any fruit and veg shops on Anafi so that we could prepare simple vegetarian meals like salads and sandwiches while we are there so that we don't have to pay to eat out every day? Obviously we will eat in tavernas sometimes but we would like the option of using bakeries and fruit shops.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you,

Janet

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Sorry can't help with Anafi, but if you liked Syros and found it quiet enough for your tastes, I can't imagine what makes you think that Naxos is "bustling". Sure the port area is bustling, but that's about it. I visited in early September, and my definition of it would be "sleepy".

It's far too early to book accommodation now for 2011. Try again after Easter.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Hi Tinsey,

Thanks for getting back to me. We enjoyed Syros because the people were very friendly and it was very "Greek" but our favourite place was Sifnos, for the same reasons and also because it was so beautiful and peaceful. We used to always go away in May/June or October and, of course, places are much quieter at those times. Now with all the children at school we have to take our holidays in July or August. Next year we have to have our holidays after 14th July due to my partner's work committments. That's why we thought it would be great to get somewhere really out of the way, like Anafi, where it might not be overly busy.

I really didn't want to book our accommodation yet, just find out a rough estimate for prices so we can plan our trip better. Almost none of the accommodation on www.anafi.gr has prices listed so it's very hard to know.

We would like to fly from Belfast to Gatwick, stay overnight in London and fly out the next day to Santorini. That would mean we have only a short distance to go to Anafi and we could stay for a couple of nights on Santorini on the way home so that we don't miss our flight. The reason we are planning our holiday so early is that the EasyJet flights to Santorini come out pretty soon and we want to make sure we don't miss them.

Janet

VIE, AT
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Recommend maki house at chora, brand new with very nice view and a little "private" patio. Stayed there only one night.

There are (or have been in summer 2010) two shops with items of daily need at chora. Pls consider, if you choose chora for yr stay, you will need bus to bring you to beaches. BTW Anafi is far the best choice for idyllic, authentic holidays.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

I think Tinsey referred to the fact that many of the island hotels close during the off season, and often the operators are not on site again until March or April. It's possible they have their snail mail forwarded, though, so you could send a letter requesting a brochure with 2011 prices.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

I just love Anafi, and I always stay in chora. There is a nice little beach in the harbour, and some rooms. But the power plant makes a bit of noise. Villa Galini in Chora looks very nice. I have stayed a copuple of times in Panorama rooms, just across the street. Ta Plagia is another place with a magnificent vieuw. The owner also have a small pattiserie and a the possibility to serve breakfast. Anafi was more easily walked before the big road to the monastry. The road have interupted the paths a bit so they are more difficult to find. The beaches are just wonderful, and with the road and the bus they are more accessible than before. The walk may be a bit hard for a 6 year old, especially in the heat of summer.

You should not compare Anafi with Sifnos. It is much more remote and quiet, and not sot so many different places to choose among. It may be a little long to stay there for 2 or 3 weeks unless you love your own company very much.

My advice is to go to Anafi without a long-time reservation, and have Naxos as a fall-back. Naxos have everything. Compared to Hermipoulos on Syros, Naxos is a small town. The narrow alleyways are very picturesque and worth exploring. The beaches are the best in the Cyclades with everything from crowded to deserted. The St.George beach may be a bit crowded, while on Plaka there are plenty of room. Bus services are excellent in season, and good even out of season.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Thank you for your helpful replies. We have definitely considered Naxos and may still keep it on the list. However one of our favourite places on Sifnos was Heronissos which is tiny and remote and my sister said she would have been happy to just stay there for our entire holiday.

Although we know there are not always daily connections we were thinking that we have always got Santorini nearby for more people, museums and nightlife, etc. My sister stayed at very cheap studios in Santorini for a few days at the end of our Antiparos holiday and she really enjoyed it so we were going to use it as our base and go to Anafi from there and stay for a few days at the end of our holiday.

We will wait until next spring to look for places to stay.

Janet

Athens
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Ok.. dear Janet, I am your person! Because Anafi is my place of origin. I have house there, as well. For rates I don't know but if you want in August is from 70-150 euro per night. Due to the fact that it hasn't a big hotel, rates are the same if you stay two, ten days or one hole month in the room! If you are interested in May or June, I think is better and you can make an aggrement with the owner, only by phone! Don't expect to answer you by e-mail! They cannot use pc! Only one "hotel" and this is Villa Appolon but it is very expesive but the best on the island (and it is not in the village, but in a beach, so you must have a mean of transport...trust me). Then, try it by telephone, but don't expect to be understood!

www.gto.gr/eng/accomm/loc/result.php…

Some rooms- studios very good are "Pelagos" 0030 2286061240

villa gallini 0030 22860 61279 , Iliovasilema 0030 2286061280.

and other but I haven't contacts right now. You can search in internet. www.anafi.gr is a site that can help you. Anafi has very nice beaches, Kleisidi, Roukounas, Ag. Anaryroi are the best. It has one bakery, 2 mini markets where you can find fruits and all that you need to cook! Restaurants? To be honest the only one I can trust is Armenaki! It has also live music, you will love it! It has the best food ever. The others are Alexandra and Liotrivi. Don't eat ...wherever you find! That's all for now! I hope you can visit my beautiful island! It will not let you down!

Edited: 9:22 am, November 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Thank you very much Lia, for your advice. How lovely to have a house on a beautiful Greek island! We will not be there in August. We will be there from about 12-13th July until about 26th July 2011. We have now booked our flights from Ireland to Athens as they were very cheap so we will have to wait until next year to look at ferries, etc.

I know the island is quite remote so do you know if the shops in Anafi ever run out of fresh fruit and vegetables. I know it's a strange question but I eat a vegan diet and mostly fruit so I have a bit of a fear of being stranded somewhere with no access to these things!!

Any advice is much appreciated : ))

Athens
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Hello again! Yes, the shops have fruits etc! But if you don't like ask better if anyone of the residences there can give you some! They do that. You can pay the same price and... they are much better from the shops!

Edited: 2:24 am, November 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Anafi 2011

Thanks Lia. That's useful to know : ))