We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

CapeTown : South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

We have 3 days to spend on one of these islands en-route to Amorgos - I realise each island has it's specific character, but given our limited time, which island best encompasses the un-touristed island lifestyle ? We love beaches and authentic local food and of course the people - a comfortable bed with a good view would also be great! (true hedonists - but would a perhaps like a little more comfort than sleeping on beaches as we did 25 yrs ago?)

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

Koufonissia is very crowdy in summer. Could seem equual to Paros or Naxos, cause it is considered a very trendy Aegean destination (food is quite expensive and rooms are limited and not budget wise)

I personally would recommend you Schinoussa. It has really stunning views to the Aegean, crystal clear waters and a lot of unspoilt beaches to explore, even on foot.

I usually visit the Minor Cyclades by sailing boat, but I always like to spend some days at Schinoussa. We walk up to the "Chora" -the capital settlement and only one on the island- in order to enjoy dinner at the familly run taverna, who are willingfull to make special arrangements for us. Evening usually starts as an ordinary dinner but after a while music is getting a little louder and the party begins with traditional rythm and tastefull wine.

Herakleia is another beautyfull island, even more quite comparing to Schinoussa, wih a very interesting "Chora" in terms of architectural style and local colour. But very poor acommodation, so if you plan to finally go there, you better look for your bookings the earliest possible. As far as I remember there is one taverna by the dock, which very tradional (run by a couple of locals who cook a few but very tastefull dishes, mostly fresh fish).

Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

Many thanks, Schinoussa was my first choice and I shall try booking there mid-sept - any good contacts ??

Level Contributor
54 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

One final query - is mid-Sept not too late in the season for visiting Schinoussa (or Amorgos for that matter)- whilst we do not like crowds it can be a bit disconcerting to find everything closed or closing around you with few or no other people around ?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

Schinoussa is very small so the season is shorter but mid September should be OK a small trickle of people will be staying. I went in June some years ago and 'the season' had not started by mid June and even restaurants had not opened.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

In mid-September, both Iraklia and Schinoussa will be practically dead but Koufonissia is likely to be a bit more lively. Koufonissia has the best beaches and the food is better. Iraklia is very pretty with the beach in the port being sandy and shaded by tamarisks.

I know the taverna in Iraklia mentioned by electricOdyssey and it is very basic but the food is OK and very cheap. The owner still works out prices in drachmas on a big calculator and then converts to euros. There are three or four other tavernas but they are seasonal and might well have shut down once the visitors have gone home.

Amorgos is lovely in September and well worth spending a few days. Rent a car to get the most out of your time there.

6. Re: Minor Cyclades Iraklia Scinoussa Kourfonissia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 19, 2009