We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samaria Gorge

JERUSALEM
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Samaria Gorge

Are there any other gorges other than the Samaria? I'd love to do Samaria but I think 16 km is beyond my abilities. Does anyone know of a shorter gorgeous manageable downhill hike ending at the sea? We'll be staying at either Chania or Rethymnon, early June. Thanks for suggestions.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samaria Gorge

Hi,

You can visit the Mili gorge in Rethymnon, it starts near the town and ends at the sea http://mili-crete.webs.com/

It's also the Agios Antonios gorge a few kilometers from the town (about half an hour drive). Never gone to far, as I usually rush to the excellent tavern at the entrance of the gorge :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3tmED0ItQ

Edited: 5:37 pm, February 04, 2014
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
911 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Samaria Gorge

"a shorter gorgeous manageable downhill hike ending at the sea?" The only reasonably easy one that comes to mind is the walk down the gorge of Aradena. See www.west-crete.com/aradena-gorge.htm

There are other gorges that end at the sea but they are a lot harder and wilder than Samaria.

There is also Agiofarango: very easy but that's in (South) central Crete

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samaria Gorge

The Aradena gorge is spectacular, but it's not a straightforward "walk", it involves a good deal of clambering down rock falls (you need both hands free of picnic, water bottles, etc) and there are a couple of places where you have to jump down a few feet. Your saying that Samaria is beyond your capabilities makes me wonder if Aradena is the gorge for you.

If it isn't, I'd suggest the Imbros Gorge. It doesn't end at the sea, but you can take a taxi from Komitades, the village at the end of the gorge, to Chora Sfakion, where there is a beach, and return to Chania from there, on the late afternoon bus.

If you do want to do the Aradena trip, ask here again for directions. I don't think it would be possible to do it in a day from Chania without a couple of expensive taxi rides, but I'll give it some thought if you decide in favour.

Samaria, although long, is not a difficult walk. Apart from the long descent down into it from Omalos, which is hard on the knees, it's a gentle incline on a well-maintained path. With a good night's sleep the previous night, and a built-in rest day afterwards, it might be possible for you, as you say you'd love to do it. If you stayed in Agia Roumeli overnight you would have its beautiful beach to yourself all the next morning.

Edited: 2:42 am, February 05, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samaria Gorge

And if you stay in Rethymnon, Gerlion's suggestions are excellent. The Mili gorge is short-ish and beautiful. There even seems to be a bus now to the start of the walk at Chromonastiri, and Rethymnon is walking distance from its end.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samaria Gorge

Another one is Prasannos, which comes out at the sea between Misiria and Platanes, about 3 miles east of Rethymnon. You could walk up this; get a 'hotels' bus to the start, which is the bridge over the river about 400m before the centre of Platanes. Walk up the small road to the right (facing inland), under the new highway, then join the river bed and walk as far up it as you wish. In June it will probably be totally dry, but there may be a bit of standing water in the narrowest section, which is probably about 2 miles inland; I walked down in late May some years ago, and had to swim for about 100m! Once you are a mile or so inland you probably won't see anyone else at all, and you can make the walk as short or as long as you wish.

Edited: 2:58 am, February 05, 2014
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samaria Gorge

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that the way I have described it, this is a 'there and back' walk. It is possible to walk down, as I did, by catching very early bus to the head of the gorge.

Edited: 3:00 am, February 05, 2014
JERUSALEM
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samaria Gorge

Thanks everyone for the helpful messages and links. The Agios Antonios Gorge looks gorgeous and we'll go for that one. How many kilometres? As we'll be staying in Rethymno we'll probably do Mili as well. Can't wait!!! We arrive in Crete early June by boat from Santorini. We're hoping there will be a direct ferrry service from Santorini to Rethymno. There is a listing on the OpenSeas website, but no details of schedule, dates etc. I'm hoping details will be published nearer to the beginning of the summer season, and will keep on looking. It would be great to arrive at the Rethymno harbour and skip the bus journey from Heraklion.

Again thanks to you all - I'll be back with more questions in the coming weeks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samaria Gorge

>It would be great to arrive at the Rethymno harbour and skip the bus journey from Heraklion.<

It's quite a nice journey, and in early June the coastal road will be lined with pink oleander. So if you do have to arrive in Heraklion (as the reply on your other thread suggests) it won't be a hardship.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samaria Gorge

Hi,

Here is the link of a description of the gorge, and if you click on the "map" you'll be able to see the route.

About the Mili gorge Alabastron is correct, there is a hop on hop off bus that goes from Agnostos Square in Rethymnon to the gorge. www.rethymnocitytour.gr/index.php/route-map

I would also recommend to reconsider doing the samaria gorge,...it's an outstanding experiance of Crete's nature. Follow the above mentioned suggestions and you'll remember it for a long long time. If there aren't of course any health problems that might be an obstacle.

10. Re: Samaria Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, February 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon
Recent Conversations