We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

Antwerp, Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

I've been looking on internet for a busride from heraklion airport to Rethymnon. I'm arriving on the airport at 21.30 and I understand that I need to go to busstation A, but I see different messages on the internet about the last bus departing from heraklion.

Is the last bus leaving at 21.00 or is it leaving at 22.30?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

Here is the KTEL timetable. The last bus leaves at 22.30.

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

If your flight isn't delayed, you should have plenty of time to make it. You'll have to get from the airport to the bus station: there are public buses that leave every 10 minutes or so, and a taxi should cost around 10-12 euros.

Edited: 5:57 am, August 22, 2013
2. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, August 22, 2013
Edited: 6:05 am, August 22, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

eline,

If you catch the bus you're going to arrive in Rethymnon about midnight - do you have any arrangements in place for when you get there?

Unless it causes difficulty, I'd be tempted to stay in heraklion overnight, breakfast, wander around for a couple of hours, nice lunch, then catch the bus to Rethymnon when you can enjoy the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

Whilst there is a wondeful bus servivce during the day, you are risking quite a lot by assuming you will both arrive in time and receive your bags very quickly. There is a bus from the airport to the town with a short walk from the bus stop to the bus station for the onward coach to Rethymno.

Depending on when you are going, have a look at resorthoppa for a transfer and compare the costs, including the knowledge that they will wait for your flight if necessary.

We travelled in the opposite direction yesterday and it is 7.60 euros each from Heraklion to Rethymno plus about 1.50 euros from the airport to the city centre. If you miss the last bus you will be stuck in Heraklion for the night which is a great city if you have a hotel booked but could be a problem if you find yourself stuck.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

Hi there

Call me cautious but I would definitely consider a "plan B" here - your flight, if on time, lands at 2130, after which it taxis to the stand, you disembark onto the huge COBUS buses for a swift ride to the terminal, go through entry formalities and claim bags. At best, you might be clear of the airport by 2200 but more likely to be 2215, after which you need a very fast taxi ride to the bus station. I think ( personally) that you'll be pushing it, even if the plane lands on time, you are first off and your bags appear on the belt first.

I would do as Rob suggests above and look at one of the dedicated transfer companies - they might be dearer than the regular bus but if the flight is late, they will wait and you are guaranteed of reaching your hotel that evening.

Edited: 4:15 am, August 23, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,008 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

OK, I'll defend my uncautious post. :-)

I'm normally as cautious as you, GB, but I assume that Eline will have carry-on baggage only, and won't be waiting at the carousel to claim checked in bags. If she knows she is going to have to wait for bags, I don't think she'd have asked: she would know it wouldn't be possible to catch that bus. But if she does have only a carry-on bag, I do think she'll be able to catch it as long as the flight arrives on time.

But actually, I agree with John that it would be better to stay the night in Heraklion and travel on to Rethymnon the next day and enjoy the journey in daylight, perhaps having had a walk around the city in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
7. Re: Traveling from Heraklion airport to Rethymnon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 25, 2014