We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Staying at Maravel hotel next month and would like to know of any traditional Greek restaurants in the area with entertainment. Definitely not looking for anywhere that caters for the Brits.....I'm really looking forward to eating a lot of Greek food while we are there.

Any recommendations please.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Thanks again, it looks a nice place. What's the significance of the blackboard with columns of paired Greek words?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

TrueBlueAngel,

As a general rule of thumb regarding Greek dishes: the less well-known it is outside of Greece, then the more authentic it is.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Cretans speak a dialect which differs in many words than mainland Greeks. That photo shows the translation of the words mostly used. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Thanks again, gerlion. I hadn't known that, but it does explain why they have difficulty understanding my attempts at a few Greek words.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Note that even in every prefecture of Crete have a few differents as well in words and accent. I can easily tell where someone comes from judging from the above.

English language has over 40.000 Greek words. That's a guiness record. So you already speak Greek:-)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Thanks for the directions gerlion. I do know exactly where you mean. Now where's the 2014 holiday brochure???

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Thankyou, we will look out for Zisis while we are there and will also look out for so where with entertainment. Only experienced the dancing and plate smashing once in Rhodes last year and had a fab time and really want to experience once that again.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

Your welcome.

Skyduster is right, about that general rule.

19. Re: Authentic Greek food and entertainment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon