We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Hi,

My friends and I will be staying in Rethymnon for one week in August...what would be the most important places to visit in 3 or 4 days? We would rent a car for 3 or 4 days and would like to see the west part of the island...what are some of the places we could visit in 4 days like beaches, monasteries...we would like to see Chania, Elafonisi Beach, Monastery of Arkadi, Knossos and a few more beaches in the south part of Rethymnon...how would you recommend a daily program if we'll have a car? I don't know the distances and the roads and I don't know how much can we drive and see in one day...could you please tell me what places would be good do visit every day for 4 days? Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

I see that Alabastron has said everything I was going to say about Elafonissi. Pretty it is, but it's only a beach, and these days an overcrowded one (especially in August, I should imagine). If you're visiting Chania, I understand there are beautiful beaches on both sides of the town. Or from Arkadi you could continue down to Agia Galini or Matala (calling in at Pheistos on the way).

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Having been so dismissive of Elafonisi, I didn't like to seem to be too negative about Plakias, but I agree with Zakrosian. It seems that people always want to visit places that were known for being nice, quiet, away-from-the crowds villages on the coast years ago. 30 years ago Plakias was one of them. Even 20 years ago it was one of them, although by then on the way to being more developed. Now it's a fully-fledged tourist resort, albeit with a good beach. Why go out of your way to see it when the spectacular drive to the much less built up, real village of Chora Sfakion would be far more interesting? Especially if it included the ferry or taxi boat along the marvellous coast, and perhaps a walk to Loutro.

I agree about Frangokastello too - also quite developed now, although it does have its splendid Venetian castle.

Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Thank you for your responses...I would think about Elafonissi Beach... maybe we will go to Balos Beach, it's not as far as Elafonissi.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

If you're going to Balos, you will either need a 4 wheel drive vehicle, or drive to Kissamos & get on the boat trip. Personally I would be as likely to avoid Balos as I would Elefonisi in mid-summer, unless you can get to either early in the morning - say at 7am & leave by midday when most of the hoards of tourists arrive, or vice versa - arrive at 5/6pm, when they are starting to leave! They are still both very beautiful, very special beaches, it's just that many other people have discovered this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Poor DiaSC - you're not getting very much encouragement for your choice of destinations, are you? I'm afraid I also agree with JWugg about Balos. All of these "Top Tourist Destinations" are crowded as well as very hot in summer, so that visiting them may be a frustrating, disappointing box-ticking exercise. To see them at their pristine best, and to get some idea of why they are so famous, you'd have to go out of season.

But there are so many places to go and things to see in Crete that are not so famous but which would be more enjoyable. You didn't, for example, respond to the suggestion of driving down to Chora Sfakion rather than Plakias, and you don't seem to want to spend the time in Chania that it deserves.

Anyway, it's your trip, and I hope you will have a wonderful time, wherever you go and whatever you do.

Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

I already added Chora Sfakion on my list for the south part of Crete...our trip will be between Chania, Knossos and the south part (Fragokastello Beach, Chora Sfakion and maybe Ilingas Beach, I'm not sure if we should see Preveli Beach).

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

The disadvatage of Preveli beach is that it has a hill to walk up and then down using the (too many) stairs. The views are very rewarding but it is hard work to do. So if the trip is long might be a problem. On the other hand it's pity to visit the area without Preveli beach. The choice is yours. :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

That's good, DiaSC! You'll enjoy the drive to Chora Sfakion, and Frangokastello does have a very nice beach.

If you like to walk, though, and you don't have vertigo, and if you want to see a really impressive beach, you could walk from Chora Sfakion to Sweetwater Beach: completely remote and wild and beautiful. Or if you arrive in time, you could take the fishing boat that takes people there every morning at 10 am, and walk on to Loutro - or spend the day on the beach and take the boat back in the late afternoon.

www.google.co.uk/imgres…

These photos were taken in winter, but Sweetwater rarely has more than a few people on it.

Edited: 7:22 am, July 14, 2013
Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

Albastron, thank you very much for your response...now there is another place I want to see...Sweetwater Beach and I know I don't wanna go to Elafonissi Beach or Balos Beach...I really like the photos, thank you very much...I didn't know about this beach...I think I need about a month to stay in Crete to see all the places...thanks again.

Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Best places to visit in Crete in one week.

I don't know what to say about Preveli...if we have enough time, we'll see it...thank you!