We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania vs. Rethymnon

Chicago
13 posts
Save Topic
Chania vs. Rethymnon

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Crete as part of our honeymoon. We can't decide on Chania vs. Rethymnon. We are going in May and would prefer a mix of relaxation and things to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Laura

Oxford
Level Contributor
174 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chania vs. Rethymnon

You've probably made your decision by now but in case you haven't I'll add my thoughts. We visited Crete for the first time in October and stayed at Rethymno but did a day trip to Chania (as Alabastron says the public bus services are frequent and quick - and cheap!). Obviously I'm no expert on Chania but my impression was there would be enough in both towns to keep you occupied. Chania was bigger and the old town was amazing but Rethymno was big enough and had a lot going on when we were there with the students diluting the tourist crowds. Maybe not as many as Chania, but plenty of restaurants to choose from!

One advantage of Rethymno is the location if you want to visit Heraklion and Knossos - relying on public transport it would be a long day trip from Chania and the other archaeological sites (Phaistos etc) would be even longer. From Rethymno we were also able to catch a bus to Plakias for a day on the palm beach at Preveli. If you feel like walking Samaria is well worth it but can easily be done from either town.

Generally I think you'd have a great time in either Chania or Rethymno - wish we were going back in May :-)

Kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chania vs. Rethymnon

Rethymnon definitely in my opinion! I think it's a little prettier than Chania and less touristy. All the shops in Rethymnon are very Greek and the town itself is historic and has a charm that Chania lacks. The whole of Crete is accessible from Rethymnon and there are lots of things to see both in the town itself and the locality. Also the beaches all start in the town and go for miles eastwards from there. Rethymnon is a little smaller than Chania but this is perhaps what makes it more charismatic and it is certainly not lacking in restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. Lots of different views on here and I guess the bottom line is that you won't regret going to either place. You must do a Yellow Train trip or two from Rethymnon by the way! Have a good time.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chania vs. Rethymnon

Hi!

If I were on my honeymoon I would opt for Rethymno too!

The old town is far more well maintained and romantic than the one in Chania

Sorry for the confusion!

In case you choose Chania I will try to break even with a few dining suggestions..

And whatever you choose a visit to both aforementioned towns is mandatory as they are close and well connected with several daily buses

p.s.: Like all hotels in the Old town of Chania, Casa Delfino is housed in a building so old that a pool couldn't fit in but, overall, its position, building, and patio are impeccable

Cheers!

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chania vs. Rethymnon

Awesome photos! Great eye! We are going to Crete in the end of April and are spending 4 nights in Chania and touring out from there. The following days I was thinking of spending in Zaros and travelling out from there. Any thoughts or ideas? Arriving Chania leaving 8 days later from Heraklion. We love the historic sites so will be seeing those and Spinalonga.

15. Re: Chania vs. Rethymnon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 21, 2014