We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Michigan
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

I will be in Rethymnon with my two-month old baby for five days in July (my husband will be in a conference most of the day every day). We will be staying at Theartemis Hotel. Is there anything within walking distance that I should definitely do? Restaurants that I should definitely eat at? (with or without husband - ha ha).

I hope to get a bit of a daily routine for those few days... in the mornings, visiting a cafe or the beach, lunch at the hotel or at a simple restaurant, take a little nap, then see a museum or something.

I am open to suggestions, but I don't think I will be up for anything too strenuous. I'd like to relax and take in the culture.

Thank you,

Julia

crete
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

i only know one 'do not miss' restaurant in rethymnon town, since i am from the city west of rethymno - chania.

that is 'AVLI' restaurant in the old town of rethymnon. i do not know the name of the street, but is close to the archeological museum. 'AVLI' means yard in greek and is a contemporary restaurant with greek influence both in the atmosphere/deco and the food. personally i like more the winter room rather the summer one, but u can have a look inside.

try + you will not forget...

crete
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

however, i do not know whether that is open during the day time. for any possible questions... (mikros_prince@hotmail.com)

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

For Avli restaurant check also:

www.amazingcrete.com/restaurant_avli.htm

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

jslatch if you visit the website I provided for you and click on the pictures you can enlage them and see more clearly the intirior of this very mice restaurant :)

Enjoy Crete!

Michigan
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Yay! Someone saw my question!

Thank you so much, little prince and ATHENAS : ) I will definiltey plan for us to eat there - it looks lovely.

As I will be strolling through the city by myself (with the baby) during the day, do you know of any bakeries or cafes that are pleasant to visit? We will be staying at Theartemis Palace (it's where my husband's conference is).

Thanks again - I appreciate it!

Julia

crete
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

i am afraid i cannot help you on that, since i only visit rethymnon for dinner once in a month. however, you will definetely find small + cozy cafes around that area. (and try to void those on the coast...)

see you/

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Glad you liked the link......you will find many nice bakeries in Rethmnon....i fail to recall particular names.....but I remember they are many :)

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Two suggestions, the Alana in Salaminos Street is very good and one of the waiters is very proud of their first child, about 18 months old, so you can share experiences. And then the Sokaki in Portou Street is a small famliy run restuarant in a quiet garden, very good food and a lovely atmosphere. Both places were we thought are very good, and we have tried quite a few. The harbour is crowded at night and we have not yet founf a place there to rave about.

Michigan
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Thank you for the advice - I am adding these into my itinerary!

(this is the big push before the baby comes on Friday at the latest!)

Julia

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any "don't miss" restaurants, cafes, etc. in central...

Wonderful many Congrdulations Julia!!!!

Have a fantastic time!